Autometer 6" diesel tach needle bounce

87Chummins

Busted Knuckles
Wondering who has, installed, or been around one of these tachs? I have had mine installed for a while now and cannot get this dam thing to stop bouncin all over the place over 1800 rpm! So far its been a huge waist of money, sure does look good at an idle though! Had the notches milled in the dampner if itmakes any differance. Thanks for any input.

Make a bracket and run it off the balancer bolts works a lot better

You are getting vibrations wherever your pickup is. Make sure the bracket that holds your pickup is tight and make sure your clearance is within spec for your pickup.

Seriously? Wires are no longer long enough for that but that can be fixed. Still read accuratly like that?

Longhorn that was my assumption but dont know how to make it sturdier, ive triangulated it, ive added metal to make it all thicker and heavier but seemed like a waist of time and energy.

I ran 4 roll pins on the front outer edge. Made a 1/8" bracket that I braced up. Worked great to 5600 rpms.

Waste - To use, consume, spend, or expend thoughtlessly or carelessly
Waist - ya know where your belt goes

I did this using 12v relocation bolts and putting them in the lower right and left front corners of the front gear case and used a 1/4 strap across the front and then a plate with the pick up thru it. Set the gap and mine has been working great for 3 years all the way to 6k

I did this using 12v relocation bolts and putting them in the lower right and left front corners of the front gear case and used a 1/4 strap across the front and then a plate with the pick up thru it. Set the gap and mine has been working great for 3 years all the way to 6k

Yea we did the same thing it works great no bounce at all

Gotcha, never would have thought about the bolts. Thought the tach had to use the od of the dampner for the pickup signal. I'll build a bracket to relocate it to the front next chance i get. Thanks for the idea and help fellars!

Back