axle joint replacement question

randal07

another guy with a truck
So i'm going to be replacing my axle u-joints soon and was wondering if anyone had any tips to make this easier. Yes, iv'e used the search function and didn't really find much. Also, do i have to remove ball joints or wheel bearings, or both? Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before i begin this project, thanks for the help.

Wheel bearings (unit bearing) will come out. If the hub is rusted in place, you can use the power steering to loosen the wheel bearing from the hub. To do that, you need to unscrew the wheel bearing bolts about a 1/4-1/2 inch. Use your socket and a small extension and wedge it against the back of the knuckle. It helps to have 2 people so you can do this properly. Once this is in place, turn the wheel slightly against the socket/extension. Work your way around all 4 bolts. Back them out some more and do it again. Once it comes apart, use some emery cloth or lions tongue to clean the hub of all rust and debris. If need be, do the same to the wheel bearing. Once everything is good and clean, the wheel bearing should drop right into the hub. Use liberal amounts of never seize on reassembly. Also, be careful when pulling the axles out and putting them back in. There is a rubber seal in the axle housing that you don't want to nick and have to replace. Other than that, it's a pretty straight forward job. Are you doing the u joint swap yourself or taking the axle somewhere and having the new u joints installed? If doing it yourself, make sure you don't bend the "ears" because then you will have to replace the axles.

Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot. I'm going to be doing it myself.

Ya, my buddy does that trick with the extension on his jeep works great, just don't put a puller on it like I did once, cuz you end up ripping it apart. :doh:

Also like mentioned put anti seize on the hubs when you reinstall them, makes them come off a lot easier if need be.

I always use a torch to remove the axle u joints. Make sure you check the ball joints prior to disassembly. They are very prone to failing.

I am too lazy i just buy complete axles, too many times i would change the joint and sometime later one of the c-clips would come off and a cap would walk out.

since you are replacing the axle u-joint just cut the u-joint apart unbolt the ball joints and remove the knuckle and unit bearing as on and use a press to remove the unit bearing. makes things much easier.

I just pulled one side of mine apart this morning as I had one u joint go bad. Did the power steering trick. Worked like a charm and took no time at all.

Back