B3.3 turbo on mk3 tdi

vinniehobart

Have had a brand new turbo off a B3.3 cummins for some time now and am finally going to put it on. My SB clutch should show up and get that thrown on at the same time. i finish the horid heater core install first which btw is less than ideal. Looking at flow charts it should be very similar to a GT2052 which has seem to work well on these AHU motors. Last time i dynoed i got 120/240 which found out my boost line going to my ECU popped off on the dyno. Was hoping for 140hp, but better than nothing. current is k03 hybrid, pp764, malone tuning. Using a 1.6TD manifold flipped so the turbo will be in plain sight and not under the intake manifold anymore. Im wanting to run sportsman this year in the NHRDA since its the closest series in Kansas. I have a spare AHU id like to build when this one pops :nos: .

Got it up and running today and drove it straight to the dragstrip. Had issues with the original boost line clamps flying off causing it to do into limp mode when I shifted into 3rd gear. For you guys that have AHU or 1Z cars I think this may be a good option as far as upgrades. I have PP764 with this turbo and on the original stage 2 malone tuning for a stock turbo it still runs good. It starts really coming alive between 2100-2200rpm and stays this way beyond 3500rpm. I got horrible track numbers becuase once one clamp blew another decided to, so I will attempt to fix these issues and hopefully holds. Cruising down the interstate at 75 is fairly nice now. Ill be selling my stage 2 tune and hopefully getting a good custom stage 3 for it. This is when I wish I had an mk4 AHL to make tuning easier. Distant future Id like a mechanical 11mm or 12mm pump, but until then electronic will work fine since I have a 11mm from a AHL car. I have only $40 invested in this which is the 1.6 TD exhaust manifold similar to a 2nd gen swap. I got the turbo given to me from a friend that worked at Case and had it off a Macdon swather. The exhaust is from a 6.4 stock uppipe. Intercooler boots are made from a 7.3 OBS radiator hose that went from 2.5 inches, did a 60 degree bend, and necked to a 2 inch diameter which saved me from buying a $30 boot. The plan is to haul it up to Nebraska Diesel Show this April and throw it on the dyno if work and school permits it.

Car runs fantastic down interstate with pp764s and this B3.3L turbo! stock turbo was roughly 12-15psi going 75-80 down interstate. New turbo settles right around 5-7psi and will light on a dime! Was tempted to get a higher 5th gear, but I need to wait since the turbo doesnt truly light around 2400rpm which is perfectly fine. Cleans up the nozzles to nothing after it lights. IMO need a 11mm pump and some race 520s to utilize full potential of the turbo.

That's awesome! Have any pics? I'd like to see it... Videos wouldn't kill you either haha

well boys its under the knife. had a thermal event with the wiring from rubbing through each other and took out entire harness. But before this went down I got a few passes on testing the new setup.the car was burning tires until approximately 40mph and buried my 35psi boost gauge. This car is awesome on the street. I have a spare harness, but im debating on going fully mechanical or selling the current tuning, going with a malone stage 5, 11mm, and nitrous. We are hoping to have clutch, cam, studs in it here shortly, but for now this weekends focus is gutting the whole interior seats, door panels, etc. Wanting to make it to Denver for NHRDA and see what itll do.

10922728_876394382418831_8200221799051780325_n.jpg

The intake is in a poor location i know. I want to move the battery to the passenger side, so hopefully this weekend I can get that sorted. The fuse panel will be moved to the driver side where battery was once located to improve accessibility since its a PITA to mess with wiring in that rats nest of a car.

Well ARP headstuds should be in this week, getting a 11mm pump for free from a friend and ripping and gutting and burning out the interior. Who knows anything about putting a mechanical IP head on this pump? heard rumors off taking a 12mm head off a b series 3.9 and making it work?

Back