Bare minimum electronics

I don't doubt at all, but why are manufacturer based engines (my kitty cats) using the cam so heavily?

First thing that pops into my head is the Cat isn't likely reving 5k or better, BUT not saying it couldn't be done just with a Cam sensor either but the resolution is pretty low in the Cummins example. In that case it's only 13 points if my memory serves me per cycle and the crank would make 2 rev's so thats 124 points per cycle. Just considerable more resolution.

lol, I'm gonna get pummeled for sure if I can't figure this stuff out. lol Forgive my ignorance, what does MAP stand for? lol See, I told you all I didn't know anything about this stuff. lol

What all do I need to get to the MAP based fueling?

If I get everything hooked up and ready, can I get ya to come out help me with it??? I'm serious here. I'd rather pay someone who's been there to save blowing the thing up on start-up.

Edit: I just held the curser over the green map and it told me 'Manifold Absolute Pressure'. lol Damn I'm get'n sharper!! lol

Think of it as your AFC on a mechanical setup. Maximum torque during the boost curve with be close to Stoich. If you care about smoke then you need to be under that, if its a non issue your running just about dead on or a little more.

If you tune to MAP and IAT then your fuel curve will match the air curve and make the most power possible. Even on a puller if your IAT's climb ideally you would pull a little fuel to compensate and I see it on my own testing on the dyno.

Honestly a factory Cummin's ecm as a stand alone is going to get 95% of the guys out there. Really don't need a dedicated aftermarket stand alone till you want to be in 95%+.

I'm trying to stay out of the custom tuning game, just don't have the time to invest.

Honestly a factory Cummin's ecm as a stand alone is going to get 95% of the guys out there.

lol. I'm running a BMW (at least trying to get one running). lol I want to do whatever is the simplest and easiest for an idiot like myself to use. I'd like to say cost is a factor, but, I'm willing to pay what it takes to ring the most power out of this little girl.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156450&page=26

Good grief! No idea how I missed your complete thread and have some reading to do. Yeah I'd be a lot more inclined to go stand alone running the BMW's. Almost certain Nira would have start up tunes for that engine as would adaptronic and at least they have presence on here.

The basics are setting the crank and cam tone wheels to achieve sync. Calibrating the injector drive to what the BMW injectors want. Ideally if I'm starting from scratch would want a running engine to scope the injector drive voltage and current.

First thing that pops into my head is the Cat isn't likely reving 5k or better, BUT not saying it couldn't be done just with a Cam sensor either but the resolution is pretty low in the Cummins example. In that case it's only 13 points if my memory serves me per cycle and the crank would make 2 rev's so thats 124 points per cycle. Just considerable more resolution.

Yep. After about 2100 RPM on these engines the ECMs need a clean crank signal. Otherwise they seem to breakup and misfire quite a bit.

OK, thanks Joesixpack. I can surely find the injector info somewhere. If not, I may have to brush up on my German. lol

Hey Joesixpack, would you have an e-mail address for the NIRA folks? I hit their web site and no e-mail address is available.

Cool idea with the bmw engines. New to the forum and just reading a bit.

I have a Nira i7r common rail stand alone diesel ecu for sale if you or anyone is interested.

Back