BEW questions.

mysterync

Is there any comp d guys who have experience on the tdi pd engines? 05 golf tdi bew to be exact. Ive got one that had a timing belt failure in the shop and I've got some questions lol.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Ive got a bew in the shop that came in as a no start. Found timing belt missing half the teeth. Did a timing job expecting to.find no compression when complete but low and behold I found compression within spec.
Completed all other aspects of the job, went to start the car and after 3 or so crank rotations it locks up tight. Verified the timing, removed glow plugs and engine turns freely. Reinstalled glow plugs, 3 full rotations locks up tight. Now i'm not willing to try my luck on a customers vehicle to try and find the culprit. The only variable between the compression test and starting was during the compression test I used a remote start switch and the injectors were disabled. That lead me to consider a hydrolock condition (cylinder 1 has some fuel in it, but not enough imo to hydrolock) so I pulled the 1 and 2 injector but cant see any nozzel damage, I guess I could send them off and have them tested. I considered a lifter issue but wouldnt a lifter issue been present during a compression test? The car needs a cam anyway so im considering going ahead and pull the head and do all the pm while im there. Id just like some input from someone more versed in the tdi world than I am to tell me if im on the right path.

Just a follow up. After doing some research ive decided the heads coming off regardless. With the tolerances at tdc I cant imagine theres anyway there wasn't piston to valve contact. Even with compression im not taking a risk on a valve breaking 5-10k from now and taking the motor out. I currently think that a lifter may be causing the lock up but I have no rhyme or reason to follow that theory with, im still considering sending the injectors to be benched before reassembly. I'm still stumped on the lockup and feel it could still be injector related. Mainly I'm concerned about the fact a replacement vw timing belt stripped almost smooth with 70k on it, im interested to see if another issue could have caused the failure outside of the timing belt failing randomly. Ill try to follow up on this when I can.
If anyone is reading this after a bew timing belt break or jump, its my opinion the head should be removed and inspected prior to running the engine. In this case compression was well within spec but convential knowledge of good compression = good to go, could easily IMO result in a future catastrophic failure.

Back