Bigger oil pump?

ryanss22

Has any one put a 8.3 cummins oil pump on a 6.7. Cummins? More oil flow the better I would assume. Filled block just for pulling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211225-055011_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211225-055011_Chrome.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
Have you watched their video discussing the 8.3 oil pump? I recall both the owners use them in their competition vehicles.

Yes, I watched the videos, they machine it and flows almost 50% more. But it seems a CR and a ppump swapped 6.7 have different pumps, why would this be?

Isn't the more oil the better? Especially with a high.rpm engine? I would also think the more flow it'd help to keep parts cooler??
But I'm guessing, that by swapping out the spring for a little more pressure the stock pump is more then enough for most.

I heard drew say that the pickup tube diameter isn’t adequate and can cavitate the pump.

I believe that was on pre cr engines as the tube diameter on a 6.7 is 1&1/8”? To begin with. This could be a great in between for those who don’t want a multistage oil system. I liked Kevin’s design. N thought it was perfect for the void in this industry. But you can buy a couple of these for what that system costs.

Our machinist made me a high volume pump. I never had any oil starvation issues, but I also had a 5gal oil pan. I have it if your interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't the more oil the better? Especially with a high.rpm engine? I would also think the more flow it'd help to keep parts cooler??
But I'm guessing, that by swapping out the spring for a little more pressure the stock pump is more then enough for most.

Not always. You can flood the top of the engine and drain the pan

How many are actually running the high volume pickup tube, that was listed above, with a factory oil pump on a 5.9? Is it worth putting one in a 3.0 truck?

Last edited:
We run an external filter and an external Peterson oil regulator. Stock internal pump. I can regulate my oil to whatever I want 100-120 psi no problem. The oil pan is modified to hold over 3 gallons of oil.

Just a fly on the wall in a pulling motor discussion where I have no experience.....but......I can see where increased flow would be better but at what increased flow does the pressure get high enough to do damage to say turbo or gaskets? Or is this increased flow regulated somehow by an oversized relief valve that can handle the extra flow and maintain OEM pressures?

Back