Bit the bullet, building my WMO cleaner rig!

deerefanatic

Always learnin...
I decided that my 400 gallon supply of WMO from the shop is just worth waayyy to much to give away... So I'm gonna build a centrifuge setup to clean it and burn it in my 12v, my Mercedes, and maybe the 6.5 Chevy. oh, and the 12v cummins tractor. ;)

Originally, I was going to build a setup to burn it for heating the house/shop by putting a waste oil nozzle into the wood burner. BUT, being that I only pay about $28/cord for wood, that makes the waste oil only worth about $0.23/gal. Not worth spending $200-300 building a burner to burn $92 worth of oil. BUT, at $4+/gal for diesel fuel, that same amount of oil is worth over $1600! So, here it goes.

I have a 40 gallon electric hot water heater. Plan is to torch open the top. The bottom element will remain, and be used to heat the oil in the summertime when I want to filter. I will install a copper coil in the tank that's attached to my wood boiler with a pump, so in the winter time, I can heat the oil for cheap off the wood burner. For a pump, I have an old worn out 16gpm Hydraulic pump off a ford tractor. Pump would only make 400psi on hot oil, hence it's needed replacement. But for me, 85psi is all I need, so perfect! And it's free. Got a 60gph centrifuge off eBay for $124. Have most the odds and ends plumbing already laying around. (When you build your own home-brew computerized wood boiler heat system that cost $7k in plumbing alone, you end up with lots of misc stuff hanging around!) I might use the extra processing power in the wood boiler system's computer (have some unused inputs and outputs that I can use to run pumps, etc) to control cycle times, oil temperature, etc.. Or make it stand alone..... I've got an old air compressor motor that I'll drive the pump with. And, I'm thinking on getting some really strong magnets to stick to the bottom of the tank to catch metals. The drain of the centrifuge will be setup so I can tap off it to fill oil jugs, so when I'm done filtering, I'll fill my jugs with the discharge of the centrifuge to make sure of no possible contamination from scum in the waste tank.

Hope to get pics up as the project progresses.. Any of you that have done this already, I'd love to hear your tips/suggestions.

FWIW...

I would never burn WMO in any engine ever again, not matter how much money I would save. I burned some in my 12-valve and I HATED IT!!! It wasn't even a high mix of WMO to diesel. It was about 20% WMO 80% diesel with some additive.

It would haze horribly until the engine was completely up to operating temperature. I mean A LOT of haze! It was fukking embarassing when my neighbors walked by or I was sitting at a stop light, when the engine was cold, spewing haze like a fog machine...

And the fumes...motor oil was not meant to be burned as a fuel. That chit was horrible to breath while my truck was idling. I could smell it hundreds of feet away if the wind was blowing the right way. The fumes/haze from burning WMO smelled like something that would definitely give you cancer if you breath it regularly...nasty chit.

If you're dead set on running WMO I'd start out at a low mix in one vehicle and see how you like that for starters. Don't fill up all your diesels tanks with WMO and then realize you hate it:hehe:.

If you want to run an alternative fuel/save some money invest in a quality WVO system.

Ive yet to have issues in 2 years of running it. I've run as high as 60% mix (summer). Hazes a little more when its that thick, but nothing crazy. I don't run any below 60*F.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Ive yet to have issues in 2 years of running it. I've run as high as 60% mix (summer). Hazes a little more when its that thick, but nothing crazy. I don't run any below 60*F.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
Glad you mention the above, I forgot some stuff.

I never had any engine issues running WMO, I just didn't like the haze and the smell. It ran fine, actually idled a little quieter running the WMO mix.

I did run WMO during the winter. Temps down to ~15*. It hazed a LOT at those tempsLOL.

Idi engines can burn it 100% without centrifuge it, and not have a problem.

Idi engines can burn it 100% without centrifuge it, and not have a problem.

I don't centrifuge at all. I use a tank that pumps it through a couple filters down to .5-1 micron (I think) and draws out all the water, parafin, and particles, and into the truck's tank. I'd always filter it no matter what, just because if you don't you'll be changing fuel filters a lot, and why risk it?

I've also run it into some pretty cold temperatures just because thats what was in the tank when the temps dropped. Ran fine, hazed a little more, I just didn't like how it killed fuel pressure while running so thick.

I plan to only run at 10%... at least initially. definitely through the winter months. My truck hazes as it is when it's cold. 5x16's will do that to yah. LOL

i ran 5 gallon in my truck in its first road trip. didnt smoke any more than usual. no haze no nothin. loved it.

I have a centrifuge and run wmo in my deuce and a half. Never in my 12v. It is not worth it in my daily driver. I would hate to ruin my p-pump or injectors. My M35A2 has a multi fuel engine and runs pretty good on wmo. I have run it at 90% wmo in the summer. It is a farm truck so the haze and smell are not a big deal where I drive it.

I have a centrifuge and run wmo in my deuce and a half. Never in my 12v. It is not worth it in my daily driver. I would hate to ruin my p-pump or injectors. My M35A2 has a multi fuel engine and runs pretty good on wmo. I have run it at 90% wmo in the summer. It is a farm truck so the haze and smell are not a big deal where I drive it.

Multi-fuel engine is just another way of saying diesel engine.

I wouldnt use WMO without running it through a centrifuge and multiple micron filters. Not sure why people would run that trash through their engines/pumps without doing it.

Multi-fuel engine is just another way of saying diesel engine.

True to a point. The Multi fuel has a higher compression, Different design for the intake port on the head and a bowl design to improve combustion of lesser fuels. Its the only "diesel" that I would and have run 87 octane gas in.

The 7.8L (478 cubic inch) Inline-6 (4.56 x 4.87 bore and stroke) LDT-465 multifuel engines also inject fuel differently than most "regular" diesels. They inject fuel in a fairly solid stream directly into the piston bowl and allow swirling air to pick up the fuel particles and slowly burn them over time; where as most "regular" diesels inject fuel as a fine mist into the combustion chamber. Like helmethair78 said above, the 22:1 compression ratio helps to burn whatever crap you put in them.

At 130hp and 305-330 lb-ft of torque they are horribly under powered, but they sure do sound nice!

Last edited:
Oh I gotchya

All this talk made me remember how much fun deuce and a 1/2's were, and I found this. We used to do crap like this in Iraq after it rained.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Dao2z_tuY"]Jeep - FSF - Deuce and a Half - Test Drive - Idiots Hole - Thanks Scott! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Back