Bittering agent in washer fluid (for use in W/M/I)

Sandaholic

Bangin' through the gears
Do any of you know what the bittering agent is or if all windshield washer fluids have them? I was looking for some -20 called a place today and the guy I was talking to threw me off when he said "yeah I got it, but this stuff has a bittering agent". WTF :what:

Looks like a while back it was mandated (not sure here) that all antifreeze and windshield washer fluid have it added to keep kids and animals from drinking it. I would imagine whatever it is (Denatonium benzoate [Bitrex]?) is harmless to my engine, but I'm just checking here. Browsing around on the net it looks like it's a salt. I read through Peaks MSDS sheets and didn't see anything that related to this.

It's probably nothing, but as soon as he said that it got the little hamster wheel going.......slowly.

I'm half tempted to find a 5 gallon can of methanol and just mix it with distilled water. Seems like it would be about the same price. Haven't checked how much methanol would be yet.
I don't get it though last summer I was able to find -20 on the shelf everywhere?

Anyhow you got any insight let's read it.

Last edited:
i picked up 5 gallons of meth for 2.75 a gallon...im just mixing my own

I'm half tempted to find a 5 gallon can of methanol and just mix it with distilled water. Seems like it would be about the same price. Haven't checked how much methanol would be yet.

The cost per gallon works out nearly the same when compared with washer fluid of the same ratio. The difference comes out to a few cents per gallon. Personally, the convenience of just picking up a few gallons of washer fluid during my shopping outweighs the small savings and risks with methanol exposure when mixing it myself.

I get mine from a local circle track racer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I either buy straight methanol and mix it or just run the snow boost juice, ends up being cheaper than making windshield wash equivalent to the 50/50 mix

I just get the blue -40 stuff it is 50/50 and works very well only get the blue as the rest have additives and color the blue has the least of both of these and no antifreeze
but just my 2cents

Regards,

Where do you even get stuff like meth and nitrous?

Try a local solvents distributor. I found 2 grades of methanol in 5 gallon cans at a place called Northwest Solvents which is somewhat near me. They wanted IIRC like 25 for the lower grade and 30 for the better stuff. I may end up going to the mix it myself route, but for now I figure why mess with it. I ended up picking up the -20 blue stuff for 1.79 a gallon. So the price is right there.

Back