Blew Up The NV5600!

TTR 21

Human Spear
Well i was headed to Diesel Thunder yesterday in Spokane, Wa and was about 20 miles out of town when i decided play around with a car trying to pass me on the highway. I was cruising at about 60 in 6th gear eased into the throttle and then mashed her to the floor. Truck took off like a rocket and then made the worst noise ever. It popped, banged, grinded, and rattled around all of a sudden and felt like i shut the truck off. I kicked it into nuetral and pulled over to the side of the road.:bang I still have good clutch pedal pressure and it will still move as long as i can get it into a gear. With the truck off it will go into 1st through 5th but i cant get it into 6th or reverse. Im pretty sure i tore the overdrive and reverse gears out of the trans. Im only pushing close to 700hp and have seen these tranys hold up to alot more. just my bad luck i guess.:lolly:

I have never looked into any built manuals and dont really know which route i should go. Should i buy a fully built one from ATS or someone else? Should i take it to a trany shop and have it built or rebuilt? Or should i just but a rebuilt stocker from somewhere?

Oh yeah and im going to try my luck at having Dodge warranty it first. :hehe:

Rolling into it in OD is what caused it to break, too much TQ. Just rebuild it and know that if you want to race, start out higher in the RPM's, no low throttle mashes. Also, I would not go to the dealer, you gotta pay to play, you are learning a lesson here.

Well that sucks!!

Personally, I'd just go with a reman from somewhere. I wouldn't deal with trying to rebuild the thing.. Just get a fully assembled transmission, pull the old one, slap the new one back in and be on your way.

If you want to have somone talk a look at it, I've heard good things about Moscow Transmission over by Les Schwab, but I've never had them work on any of my stuff. They seem pretty sharp from most the folks I've talked to. Might be worth a call for a quote if nothing else.

Anytime u punch it go to 5th then slam back in 6th. My cousin just pulled his apart and had to replace 6th gear and a shaft spent $600 and thats just parts he said all good now though. I am pushin 800hp thru mine.

I knew which gear it was as soon as I saw the title. 6th is weak, a downshift would have saved it.

I didnt mash the throttle until about 2100rpm but i guess it was still too much for the thing to handle. Only dyno i have been on reads up to 1200tq and i flat lined the graph from 2450rpm to 2900rpm.

I have been looking around for a reman trans but no one seems to have anything. where is a good place to pick one up and what am i looking at as far as price?

Also is there anyway to make 6th gear stonger? I dyno this thing alot and do alot of low rpm pulls on the dyno in 6th. Might as well try to make it stronger while im in there.

zbag.com built Jasons and mine and many more they'll cryo and blue the main fifth and sixth

zbag.com built Jasons and mine and many more they'll cryo and blue the main fifth and sixth

Yep, Like eric said. you need to cryo 5th too. They did my main barrings IIRC as well. It's convenient that they are only 50 miles from the cities.

If I rebuild this again, I'm going to have to figure out if it's worth it to cryo the synco's and associated parts. I heard brass isn't a good metal to cryo for strength like a brake rotor would be. I'm on the edge here to have the trans pulled and freshened, as well as the clutch. Peter has made some nice upgrades..... hmmm........ or not...

I do have a spare car now so I can be a little be more flexible about getting this kinda work done. Still deciding on if the truck or the car is the "toy" :)

when I broke my trans the first time it was 117,000 miles old. It was 0 degrees out and I was at 70 when I rolled into it. The second time around I was just cruising at 85-90 and all of a sudden I heard popping noises.

This trans made several (20) 1600#foot pulls on John's dyno with no problems. However, it's been 8 months since I've had that kinda of fuel to make that torque.

Back