Blowby at idle

just thank them and keep on rollin' :)

I had a blow-by monster for a while back in the day... one of the best trucks I ever owned

Yeah, I usually do that. I'm gonna come up with something to help with that at this point. I can't seem to find any other indications thats rings are worn. I just hope the case breather will keep oil from blowing out so bad at high load/boost. I was using about 1/2 gallon every 1500-2000 miles and would have to clean the front of my 5th wheel after every trip.

I am curious though... I bought the truck in 2006 with 155k or so it on. Only thing done to it (which I didnt know until later) was the timing was at 15.5. The pump still had all the breakoff screws and it was a dog towing. I can tell no one towed with it before me, or at least not much, since the 7pin plug was very corroded and broke when I tried using it so I had to replace it.

Now that you have the background, any ideas what would cause what I would consider premature wear of the rings? excessive idling, driving on sandy roads constantly?

Joel

I will say one thing about this breather... the smoke isn't gone, but it doesn't blow oil all over on high boost runs. In fact, there is less blow by after a hard run. I'm impressed with this breather for sure! Only time will tell, but so far so good.

This truck isn't a daily, just my weekend warrior/tow vehicle. Rebuilding it seems like something I'm not interested in doing right now so it'll just blow/steam. I'm gonna run a long hose into a catch can of some sort near the back that'll make me feel better. I live in a warm climate so freezing a long vent tube is not ever likely.

I am only slightly amused with the idea of dumping ANOTHER 2-3k+ into a vehicle thats only worth 7-9k if I found an sucker. Already had it repainted and put in a goerends and countless replacements of maint. parts... why not just add some more, right?

Joel

Personally, I'd be doing a leak down test on the motor to determine its condition, then respond accordingly.

my ve has a lot of blowby. but no oil. just a drop every now and then. it dont burn oil.. oil stays same . its always full i never have to add any. to much case pressure? its turned up purdy good.. not sure of hp rating. 14.4 in 1/4 @95mph . the warmer it gets it kinda settles down. but is still there. i can take off the oil fill cap. and nothen.. and after a good run. my oil dip stick will be pushed out about an inch or 2.. and leak oil from under my valve covers., i am thinking of putting a filter on each cover and se what happens..

towing helps keep the rings seated. and I switched to valvoline oil and it seems to do alot better too. rotella made it smell and have a little more blowby.

towing helps keep the rings seated. and I switched to valvoline oil and it seems to do alot better too. rotella made it smell and have a little more blowby.

Rotella does give a bad BO smell on these trucks

If it runs OK, and does everything you want, why screw with rebuilding it. It's blowby, diesels have it, and more than likely, it seals up a little better under boost, and is fine.

You have a VERY good breather on there now, if one set did the trick of keeping the oil in the engine, your blowby isn't that bad...I've seen engines take 2 to clean it up:hehe: Put a hose on it long enough to get the steam away from where it's annoying, or make a catch can for the oil if your still getting some blowby.

But my opinion is, drive it until there's a MAJOR problem...like it won't start anymore.

My 95 has 370K miles on it...over 300hp for the last 155K miles, and over 400hp for more than a 100K...head has never been off, rolled in bearings at 350K. Yep, got a little blowby, but she still outruns most of the new trucks towing 30K lbs;)
Chris

i just had the same problem with my 04 cr. had blowby since the day i bought it an wasnt really too bad but definitely noticable. 4 months later it broke the last piston ring in #6 cylinder an started knocking, have a leak down test done on the cylinders, if say #5 is messed up you can count on #2 being right there with it going down the same path sine these motors hit 2 cylinders at once. jus my knowledge of what can happen with these never trucks that have blowby. wish ya the best of luck man

joelabq, what breether are u using?????? i pulled up to a stop light yesterday and my truck has bad blow by and a guy said "dude your trucks on fire!!!" i smiled and said thanks and just drove off.

I'm using a Case tractor one that goes on the valve cover. It will still occasionally blow oil, so I added 2 more vents. Still hazes an intersection sometimes.

I hate it, but it's paid for and runs good.

Back