Body swap questions

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
How do you go about finding a body that will fit your chassis? I've got a 94 dodge 3500 dually that I would like to drop a 1950's model truck body on. I would hate to travel the country with a tape measure to find a body thst will fit correctly....any tips?

How do you go about finding a body that will fit your chassis? I've got a 94 dodge 3500 dually that I would like to drop a 1950's model truck body on. I would hate to travel the country with a tape measure to find a body thst will fit correctly....any tips?

Tips? Plasma cutter, sawzall, and good supply of fresh blades. Grinder with cutoff wheels and a steady hand. Measure 4 times before cutting.

wheelbase would be the best starting point I suppose. From there on, RD has the correct plan.

I have the same idea and actually have all the major parts to do the project. (Might even be able to start this winter:pop:) My goal when I started out was a 53-56 Ford with a Cummins. I was able to look online and found all of the dimensions for both the dodge chassis and the Ford truck body.

Yep, figuring out the options with a similar wheelbase would be a good start.

I'm betting a 94 Dodge regular cab would be a nice compromise for this cuss-tom rig, though. :hehe:

Mark.

When beginning the project do you leave the engine in the donor chassis and keep lowering the body down to take measurements on what needs to be cut to make the body fit. Or do you start with the reverse and take the engine out and mount the body?

I had bought a 1947 international kb2 a few years back and realized the body of the kb2 is so narrow that it would have to sit on top of the frame so much so that you would see the complete dodge chassis. I didn't like that I more or less wanted the body to hug the chassis. I landed up selling the body to someone who makes interior custom furniture with antique truck parts...kinda neat but at a loss of money on my end.

When beginning the project do you leave the engine in the donor chassis and keep lowering the body down to take measurements on what needs to be cut to make the body fit. Or do you start with the reverse and take the engine out and mount the body?

I think leaving the drivetrain intact would be best. That would give you reference points just to measure it out at first. I'd personally want to keep modifications to the chassis as minimal as possible.

I had bought a 1947 international kb2 a few years back and realized the body of the kb2 is so narrow that it would have to sit on top of the frame so much so that you would see the complete dodge chassis. I didn't like that I more or less wanted the body to hug the chassis. I landed up selling the body to someone who makes interior custom furniture with antique truck parts...kinda neat but at a loss of money on my end.

That’s where the custom fab comes in. Channel the body down over the frame by modding the floor, etc.

I have 99% of the parts for my 1951 Ford project and hope to start this winter. Going on a 2006 f350 chassis. I’m going to have to modify sheet metal not seen outwardly to get it to fit. But I wanted a more modern chassis verses dropping the diesel between the old trucks frame rails.

That’s where the custom fab comes in. Channel the body down over the frame by modding the floor, etc.

I have 99% of the parts for my 1951 Ford project and hope to start this winter. Going on a 2006 f350 chassis. I’m going to have to modify sheet metal not seen outwardly to get it to fit. But I wanted a more modern chassis verses dropping the diesel between the old trucks frame rails.

This was my thought as well as far as dropping the body onto the chassis.

Are you going 4x4 or 2wd? Cummins? Powerstroke? Or something different? Trans? Curious to hear about your concept. I have been kicking the idea around of using a 2005-2007 Ford chassis which has some benefits over the 1995 Dodge chassis I currently own.

Are you going 4x4 or 2wd? Cummins? Powerstroke? Or something different? Trans? Curious to hear about your concept. I have been kicking the idea around of using a 2005-2007 Ford chassis which has some benefits over the 1995 Dodge chassis I currently own.

2wd on air, 6.0 Powerstroke with a stand alone harness, ZF6. Front Chevy control arms, rear Dana 80, bed stretched to 10’ and widened rear fenders to fit over the duals. It’ll be 100% Ford minus the front suspension.

Was originally going to do a 100% mechanical setup with a compounded 12 valve backed by the ZF6, but the modded 6.0 fell into my lap!

I’ve been saying I’m starting “this winter” for 3 years now! But actually getting closer now, so we’ll see!

It is 2x4 12V

2wd on air, 6.0 Powerstroke with a stand alone harness, ZF6. Front Chevy control arms, rear Dana 80, bed stretched to 10’ and widened rear fenders to fit over the duals. It’ll be 100% Ford minus the front suspension.

Was originally going to do a 100% mechanical setup with a compounded 12 valve backed by the ZF6, but the modded 6.0 fell into my lap!

I’ve been saying I’m starting “this winter” for 3 years now! But actually getting closer now, so we’ll see!

I hope you are able to start this winter! I like the sound of this project. I picked up my project almost six years ago now. Had 2 kids, bought some land, built a few buildings, built a house, so the project stalled. I am getting very close to having the interior of my shop setup. So maybe start this winter……keep us updated on your project for sure!

It is 2x4 12V

This is the route I’m going. 12v, NV4500, 2wd, 1953 F100. I hope you find a good body to drop on your frame. Keep us updated.

Back