boost question

9jhester

turbo question. im currently running a silver bullit 66 with ats intake manifold. my question i took turbo off other day to change exaust manifold as my old one cracked. when i put back together it wont seem to build any boost. sounds like boots are closeing up but i have checked them all and dont seem like anyway they could be. any advise? im puzzled

Is the Exhaust manifold to head bolts tight? What about the Turbo to manifold bolts? If you haven't double check those.

More than likely A boost leak, very common to get the boost elbow coming off the turbo to the inercooler slightly cocked when reconecting. I have also seen the wastegate actuator poped loose or put in A bind which can cause the same problem.

Is the Exhaust manifold to head bolts tight? What about the Turbo to manifold bolts? If you haven't double check those.
double checked that before it was started then again after the problem was occuring

More than likely A boost leak, very common to get the boost elbow coming off the turbo to the inercooler slightly cocked when reconecting. I have also seen the wastegate actuator poped loose or put in A bind which can cause the same problem.

how do i check the wastegate actuator, no lie i am a complete dummy when it comes to wastegates

I apply compressed air through a gauged pressure regulator and note the pressure required to start opening the wastegate and the pressure required to fully open.
Since you had the turbo off, you might check to see if anything is holding the wastegate open or diaphram rod.

also check to see if you have any exhaust leaks. did you do the exhaust gaskets when you pulled the turbo?

I apply compressed air through a gauged pressure regulator and note the pressure required to start opening the wastegate and the pressure required to fully open. QUOTE]

......by way of the rubber hose going to the wastegate diaphram from the compressor housing.

Back