Bought a motor now what to do with it?!?

Dido

I bought the motor from a guy on a deal i couldnt pass up. Is their anything special with the first gen motors (rods,crank, postons) worth using in a motor build. I dont know much about these im a Cr guy

from what I have seen, lots of 1stgen engines had Brazil rods, depending on what year it is, it may have a desirable piston, and lots of blocks are IH blocks, most with 14mm threaded mains

Depends on what year I believe the non-intercooled motors had bigger piston bowls. Aside from that I think a VE motor and P-pump motor are almost identical.

Nothing special about them. Really best used as a paper weight. If you want i can haul it off for you and we can split what it brings at the scrap yard.

With a 1st gen himself, I think it was slightly sarcastic.

The non-i/c motors have larger piston bowls with a 155deg. injector spray angle. The i/c (up through the p-pump motors) motors have the smaller piston bowls and a 145deg. injector spray angle.

I like the 1st gen motor for simplicity. Depending on your build plans your only main hurdle is making over 500hp on fuel only. The VE pump has a hard time flowing the fuel needed. You can definitely build a reliable 400hp truck that gets in the ballpark of 20mpgs.

I just made 361hp and then averaged 20mpgs on 37's during a 120 mile trip.

Your main benefit in keeping the mechanical pump is after enough testing and tuning you can dial it in exactly where you want it and it only takes time, a wrench and a screw driver.

I got 23.xx mpg on a 500 mile trip through towns on county highways with 4.10s and 33x12.5 tires

Damn, I got 24 mpg the day I picked my bone stock 96 ECLB, 4 wheel drive with 3.55, and a 400 mile drive home. I took the fuel plate out of my truck for the response and I average 18 mpg.

I may experiment now, because I have a #10 fuel plate and a stock fuel plate.

Back