Brogeson or Redhead or other...

1stack

My 04.5 3500 is in need of a steering box. Has anyone here lately bought either one? I have a 4 bolt top cover stock box on it. I was going to buy the box brace also.

We have used Red Head on two trucks and now a BlueTop on another. Great product either way. BlueTop is a spin off from Red Head, but they seem to be making a name for themselves. We spoke with them before purchase and they gave us the spill. Great folks. I would do business with either of them.

I did try a borgeson several years ago and the box wouldn't even bolt up to the frame properly. After modifying it to fit and using spacers, the truck was hard to steer lock to lock when parked. After raising hell they did give us our money back but we ate shipping both ways. That was when they were not using stock 3rd gen boxes, instead a close fitting Delphi box. To my knowledge, they are now using OEM steering gear boxes. Surprise surprise. They have lost my business.

Last edited:
No complaints from my last truck that I put a blue top on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Running a blue top in my 06 for about 2 years now, no complaints. Nice guy to deal with. It won’t fix all your problems but I’m a firm believer that the stock box or auto store remans are the reason for 50% of the slop guys complain about with these front ends.

Also google search the power steering cap mod. The air vent on the top is a poor design that doesn’t allow pressure to release. There’s pictures how to mod it. Mine was building enough pressure to make a popping noise when I unscrewed the lid.

Last edited:
Ive been running blue tops in all my trucks since they opened up. I had one warranty issue and they took care of it right away.

Red Top is my go to, step up to the 6 bolt gear.

You might as well replace the steering shaft while you're at it, Borgeson is the way to go. Get it installed and tack weld all of the set screw joints. Amazon is the cheapest for the Borgeson shaft.

If you're looking to be done for 100k miles or so, go ahead and upgrade to the Mopar T style linkages and install a steering box brace. Summit Racing is the cheapest for this kit.

You can buy a brand new not rebuilt 6 bolt box from mopar. The red and blue tops are cheaper because they are a rebuilt unit. On the borgeson shaft, put one one my on my 01. They're probably a waste of money and a pain in the ass to install.

PCS has the best box from my research

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PCS has the best box from my research

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree. They're actually about the same price as the mopar box too. Which I think you actually can't get right now. Coincidentally I have one new in the box for my dad's 06 but it turned out ball joints fixed it.

My local NAPA has a reman sitting on the shelf for $142. I was totally shocked! I didn’t buy it cause to me that’s way too cheap! I looked at it. It’s a 4 bolt cover. Any thoughts?

Back