Broken pump wire?

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
Anyone ever broken a pump wire?

I went to re-solder mine and it broke in 2? so about the only thing i could figure to do was solder another peice of wire in! truck runs, but it has solder all down in the wire, i feel i might have cold joints, due to the solder not heating enough!

is it replaceable though?

Good question. I solder all of my wires on to my pump and have never had that problem.

I know. I hope I can replace it, it is just bandaged now

I don't think it is replaceable. You have to replace the entire computer on top.

well i have another pump, so that is possible! can I do this? or do you need special tools for it?

yes it is possible. you need a small torx bit cant remember the size right off hand t10 maybe, for the rpm pickup inside the pump. and maybe a t40 for the bottom two torx bolts and a t25 for the other bolts you take out. Make sure you are VERY careful and clean when you do this.

Did you use flux when you soldered it back? If you didn't, there is probably a bunch of cold joints in it. Use plenty of flux and then clean it all very well with alcohol when you are done to get the flux off. Then cover it good with splicing tape or something to keep water out of it. It will be fine if you do it right....and maybe even if you do it wrong. LOL

I painted my connection with some brush on insulation.

I used the same stuff to seal the steering coupler when I rebuilt it on my '92(Rastus).

Did you use flux when you soldered it back? If you didn't, there is probably a bunch of cold joints in it. Use plenty of flux and then clean it all very well with alcohol when you are done to get the flux off. Then cover it good with splicing tape or something to keep water out of it. It will be fine if you do it right....and maybe even if you do it wrong. LOL

Well i cut the wire back till it seemed clean, and solder the best I could with some flux! it didn't wanna melt and flow though? I got a new solder gun to use and I'll try again, but it's running just has a shudder some times!

I'm also gettin a 0602 code? this sucks!

P0602 ECM Fueling Calibration Error.
ECM Internal fault condition detected.

Mine shuddered every now & then until I soldered the wire.
I put some bathroom floor mats on the fender & battery, got comfortable (always get comfortable whenever you can...make the job easier and even enjoyable:Cheer:) then carefully stripped the insulation and soldered the wires.

Last edited:
I painted my connection with some brush on insulation.

I used the same stuff to seal the steering coupler when I rebuilt it on my '92(Rastus).

Did you actually break yours? or did you just solder the box wire to get rid of the shudder?

The blue wire connector that was on mine connected poorly and I believe was my surge problem. After soldering, the surge quit.

No, I am actually talking about the black wire that is on the IP!

I'm referring to the blue connector that connects the Comp wire to the black pump wire.
What kind of connector came with your Comp?

I don't have a comp! I broke the actual wire that is on the pump! the black one closest to the head! the wire was soldered too many times and it got brittle and snapped!

Just solder it real good and it will be fine. You cant just replace the computer on top, the pump will have to be recalibrated after that. I did this with a II HRVP that had a broken computer, it worked but threw a code for the calibration.

Back