Build questions/opinions

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
I've been tasked with putting together a 12v package for a customer since I'm the only guy at work thats owned one and need some opinions.

97 12v auto. Young guy wants a DD/weekend hotrod. Has been set on dragon flow r1's (100hp is all they state) and an Aurora 3000 turbo. I'venot read much good about the Auroras, but when I called them they told me that I would need to go Aurora 5000 to keep up with those injectors. I've got 191 DV's and 4k kit on the list as well for the guy, but I'm thinking a super B special would be a better fit, maybe I'm wrong. The A5K has a huge turbine and I don't want to build a lag monster. He's going to be changing fuel plates in the near future, but it's a piece by piece build at this time.

Customer wants; more power to play with, doesn't tow basically at all, and doesn't want to much smoke when driving around.

A 64/71/14 has been proven to support over 600hp even on a 12v. So I think the Super B Special will suffice just fine. And on the injectors, as I have nothing against Industrial Injection, there are better options out there for the 12v stuff.

Murphy41 is correct on the turbo choice. A 64 will support 600hp with a fun daily driver with good street manners and still be able to play on the weekend.

Thanks for the info, I too thought the 5k was way too big. I'm open too suggestions on other injectors.... Don't be shy..

Thanks

Before you upgrade the power upgrade the transmission. At a minimum (depending on final hp goals) install a single billet torque converter with a lower stall speed and a shift kit for better line pressure. If not he will be back looking for a transmission rebuild.

If he is set on those injectors call the company up. Tell them you have heard good things about their products and need to know the number of injector holes and their size on that injector. It may be a 5x.01025 stock 215 hp injector for all we know. If they refuse to answer simply say ok,.. I will buy a set from someone else who knows what they are selling. They will probably get you the information then.

He has plans for the tranny, which he claims he will take care of when it ****'s the bed.. Again, he's stuck on ATS for some reason, but that's his problem to solve after is goes. I already suggested the trans should be the first thing he upgrades but I'm just the mechanic, so what do I know.. :blahblah1:

Anyway, I'm well open to other injector suggestions. When I put mine together Weston built my injectors, so I didn't have to go through the effort of researching what would work and what wouldn't do so well.. I have yet to call and get the specs of the II injectors tho...

A buddy of mine runs a super b special with a 181/210 Hamilton cam and its still very laggy compared to stock.

Since the kid doesn't want a smoke machine, I wouldn't go over a 63or64/68/.85 T3 and run an external gate. Not sure how much power he's shooting for but 5x10s probably won't make over 400hp and 191 delivery valves don't run as clean as 024s (So I've read...)

Since this truck gets driven on the street a lot, I would look at a turbo that spools really quick. I think when people say a turbo spools good they are mostly referring to drag racing or full throttle runs. I would be more concerned with how it spools in overdrive around 12-1500 RPMs.

Oh ya, my tranny blew up with a shift kit and all the free mods, that's with stock 160 injectors and 131 delivery valves. So I would definetly look into some tranny upgrades first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I use Weston for all my injector needs, so there is my recommendation.

He's the only guy I've used as well, and I've reached out to him via PM. If someone has a more direct route to get ahold of him that would be great. I lost his number years ago..

Last edited:
If the customer wants you to put together a package, he needs to not tell you what goes in it. If he wants to pick parts, then it's not your fault if things don't play together nicely.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back