built tranny symptoms...

moparman13045

So last night I was driving the 04.5 in my signature, running level seven on the smarty. I hit the loud pedal hard a few times but nothing too major. I pulled into a parking lot to turn around after dropping a friend off at his apt. and put the truck in reverse, it didn't seem to go right in like it usually does, it was in reverse, but it kinda hesitated to move, then it kinda grabbed into reverse then let go, then grabbed some more, then hesitated and I had to hit the throttle slightly because it acted like the parking brake was on slightly.

Same thing happened when I hit the throttle grabbed, hesitated a bit grabbed, etc. I then shifted into neutral, in neutral it grabbed/shuddered and hesitated for several seconds (like the truck was still moving a bit) like it was still in reverse for a few seconds, then acted like it was properly in neutral.

I put it in drive, and it drove away fine, babied it home, it shifted through all the gears fine. Once home I could replicate what happened again in reverse, and now slightly in forward gear, the neutral thing happened in reverse and in forward, put in neutral and it grabbed/shuddered a bit before it acted as if it was properly in neutral.

The only other symptoms I have had are lately I have been feeling a slight shudder in the trans once in lockup at just light throttle load, usually around 45-50mph, and when I hit the lockup switch it takes a while before it engages, like 6 seconds, not immediately.
2004.5 2500 4x4 qc sb Ats with billet auto, 5 star converter, bd billet flex, deep pan, ats 2 piece exhaust manifold, ats aurora 3000, ats arc flow intake, commander monitor, fuel boss, custom made 2 micron filtration, Arson III, 90hp DDPs, ARP studs and a smarty s-06 POD.

weird development...

Dropped the pan looks pretty good in there, put new filter and fluid in, ran the same. Just the other day I had to move a couch so had to drive the truck (hadnt been driving it since I noticed the problem). I drove it kinda moderately, with smarty turned back to stock, and truck suddenly does not have the symptoms anymore? Maybe a stuck valve in the valve body?

Like dangerous06 said, I had the same symptoms twice! ( I didn't learn my lesson after first tranny), I decided to turn my bully dog on the lowest setting above stock thinking it would help and like 2 weeks later, my truck couldn't even leave outta my level garage. Clutch pack was gone

yeah, I have had clutch packs go before and the pan was full of scrap metal, but this time it isn't and the symptoms were nothing like I was having when the clutch packs were shot. I have also turned the programmer back up (figuring it may just finish it off and pinpoint the problem), its working fine, its wierd I dont know what gives. Talked with ats, they said to back intermediate band adjustment off a bit because it sounds too tight, called ats back a few days later, told them trans "fixed itself" before I could get to adjusting band, even though we all know that isn't true, they said to just leave it alone do not touch it just monitor it, so we will see I guess.

Last edited:
Back