cam gear

dhrsterling

Do you have to put a 12v cam gear on your 24v cam when your p-pump a truck? Are the gears the same or are they different sizes or different number of teeth? Thanks guys sorry for the questions but I'm getting ready to jump into the famous p-pump swap.

you have to use the 24v cam gear if you want your tach to work.......and replace the timing pin in the 12v cover with your cam sensor.....

you have to use the 24v cam gear if you want your tach to work.......and replace the timing pin in the 12v cover with your cam sensor.....

I've got a 2k engine tore apart in the garage, the cam gear looks like that of a 12v, just has a notch in it that looks like a timing pin would go into. No tone ring on it.

RE-use it

You must use a 24 valve cam gear for the tach, ac, alternator to work if it is a 00-02 truck. Also, you must relocate the cam sensor using the adaptor so it will sense the tone ring on the 24 valve cam gear. That said when you pull the cam just use the dowel pins to hold the tappets up, it worked real well for me. I just finished an 02 and everything is working great but just take your time, its alot of work!!

Id look into getting a Cam Gear retainer while your in there too. cheap insurance to keep the gear from walking....

I thought there was a way to use the 24v timing
case?

Its been done will take some maching for the pump to mount so it needs to b pulled so a 12v would b cheaper to a point , Guys in mexico were doing 24v covers cause the 12v covers were in hi demand and they also rebent there 24v lines

I've got a 2k engine tore apart in the garage, the cam gear looks like that of a 12v, just has a notch in it that looks like a timing pin would go into. No tone ring on it.

The computer needs that raised notch to locate TDC. The 98.5-00 have the tone ring on the crank which is used to produce a Hall effect, and has no way to locate enigine position itself.

The computer needs that raised notch to locate TDC. The 98.5-00 have the tone ring on the crank which is used to produce a Hall effect, and has no way to locate enigine position itself.

The tone ring on the crank has a tooth missing, so it has a bigger gap so it can locate its position.

The tone ring on the crank has a tooth missing, so it has a bigger gap so it can locate its position.

I looked for a missing tooth when I installed my crank,and didnt see one.I have a 00 on the stand I'll check it out later this week.

I checked 2 cranks over the weekend a 99 and a 00....no missing tooth on either. Can you post a part # for your tone ring with the missing tooth. Is the missing tooth inline with the crank sensor at TDC ??

I don't know if I would call it a missing tooth, more like one of the teeth is very wide. I will look at the crank I have sitting on the bench.

P/N 3942441

This is out of a 2k 215hp engine. The missing tooth is just a little off of being inline with the #1/#6 throw, so the missing tooth would not be at the crank sensor when the piston is at TDC.

Attachments

• Tone Ring.jpg
    Tone Ring.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 29
Back