camshaft install

yoshi470

EDP Janitor
well i have been throwing around the idea of getting an aftermarket camshaft. I have been looking at the F1 helix II, pdr quickspool, and the maxspool. I have found quite a bit info the on the helix and pdr cam but not so much on the maxspool one. They all sound like good cams but i like the sound of the helix II the best because its not a regrind and because of the bolt on cam gear. I was just wondering if your average joe could do the install and whats all involved and how extensive/difficult is the install. I have done all the work on my truck to this point and would like to keep it that way. I would prolly pull the head off and get that o-ringed at the same time if this ever happens. Just wondering what the install is like and what cam would be the best and if its even worth doing. Sounds like you get decent results lets hear some feedback!!

Ive got the H2 with the 12v lobe so i could run the mech pump. I did all the work myself also. if you are mech inclined then id day you can do it with no probs. If youve done everything yourself so far then id say you are.

Ive heard that it takes 10 hours to do the cam. Which could be right, it took me like 14 or so. I just piddled in the evenings and did head studs at the same time.

I took some 1/2 in. dowel rod and beveled the ends and shoved them into the tappets, then pulled them up and zip tied them in pairs to keep them up. The rest of it is pretty easy if you have the front of the truck off (radiator and IC).

I like my cam. I know its not anything big but it does the job and i did know a difference with it installed. I was in the need of a fuel system and figured that id go this route with the 12v lp and kill 2 birds at once.

I went from a stock 01 with a built trans to adding a tst comp and 150hp inj ( i fried the turbo), to adding a sps 66, cam and ddp 220 inj.. I liked my old set up.

Last edited:
I took some 1/2 in. dowel rod and beveled the ends and shoved them into the tappets, then pulled them up and zip tied them in pairs to keep them up. The rest of it is pretty easy if you have the front of the truck off (radiator and IC).

QUOTE]

what exactly do you do in that step? Also im guessing a majority of the time is just taking everything off to get to the cam?

Figure more time if you have never done it before, just take your time and double check every step when it comes time to pull and remove it and you'll be fine.

I can actually get the front off in about 2 hrs (bumper, drain raidiator, rad and ic and fan)

When you take the rockers off and pull the push rods you put the dowel rod down in the hole and tap it in the tappet. Then pull them up and zip tie them together or rubber band them (anything to keep them from dropping).

That time i gave was a round about for the first timmer. The moral is to not be in a hurry. Id get a big box and cut it open so you can lay everything out.

I had a haynes manual that helped out alot. Good and detailed with pics. It also has the tq specs in it also. Some you might modify a little when you put them back on.

just take your time and do it right. make sure the dowel rods have a good hold on the lifters if you drop one you have to pull the engine. also be careful with the cam keeper behind the gear. when you go back in with the new cam coat it with assembly lube, this will prevent a dry start and save lobes. if your lookin for a good cam talk to Zach Hamilton with Hamilton Diesel 512 778 6150. He will get you the perfect cam to suit your needs. Also check out his pushrods and valve springs.

Watch the keeper when you pull the cam out also ciz it can drop into the oil pan as well. A little easier to get than the tappets, but still a pain

Watch the keeper when you pull the cam out also ciz it can drop into the oil pan as well. A little easier to get than the tappets, but still a pain

What is this keeper to look out for? also i dont like the sounds of having one of the tappets falling out and then having to pull the whole engine

What is this keeper to look out for? also i dont like the sounds of having one of the tappets falling out and then having to pull the whole engine

the keeper holds the cam in the engine. Once you pull the front cover off and get it spun to tdc, you will see the 2 keeper bolts through the cam gear. when you go to take out the 2nd bolt just hold that keeper and take it out through the gear. when i did mine i spaced it and when i pulled the cam out a little i heard it drop in the pan, at first i thought it was the rear tappet and my heart sunk. Then i realized what it was and luckily it was right up front so i could snag it with a magnent and fish it back out.

dropping a tappet is what scares me most about doing this. So as long as i get some dowels and make sure i get them nice and snug do i have to worry? I guess i somewhat understand the keeper anyone got any pics of it?

I just did mine and it wasnt bad. All i can say is MAKE SURE that the dowels are for sure in the tappet before you pull the cam. Il try to get some pics 2day. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah i forgot about the keeper. I dropped mine but was able to get it with a magnet. Just be cautious of it. The dowels are pretty straight forward. when you pull out the push rod and put the dowel in it should go in avout another 1/2 inch. Just pull one up and out just to see. It wont drop in for the cam being in the way.

Back