case 504

detroitdiesel

Does anyone have any info on the case 504 diesel. I know it was used in several tractors including 2090-2590, and heard from one person that it was a Cummins engine, and from another it was a Case built engine. Also, does this engine have wet sleeve cylinders or is it a "throw away" block?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Its a case engine. It was replaced by the Cummins 8.3, 505ci.

Correct. The 8.3 that replaced it (the 504) had an 11mm Ppump and an HX40.

The 504 CASE engine can be traced all the way back to the 930, when it was a 401... IIRC the first model to have a 504 was the 1370.

Anyway, both the 504 CASE engine and the 8.3 ISC Cummins are wet sleeve engines.

there are also 2 block and cranks a 504 T (T for turbo) is 3.5 bore and a 504 non turbo is a 3 inch bore.

Thanks for the info. Do any of you guys have experience with this engine, and if you do, what are your opinions on it.

there are also 2 block and cranks a 504 T (T for turbo) is 3.5 bore and a 504 non turbo is a 3 inch bore.

You might want to rephrase what you are saying here...

You are partially correct with the 2 blocks. The 401/451 share the same block and the 504 has a slightly different block (the bores for the sleeves are bigger)

You are completely wrong with the different bores: all 504s are 4.625x5 bore and stroke.

You would be correct with the turbo vs N/A cranks being different. Only difference is the rod journal on the N/A engines is 3" while the turbo engines is 3.5". Otherewise all the 401/451/504 engines are 5" stroke...

They are pretty decent engines, pretty durable, well built for the most part. The only thing I don"t like is the lack of a frame rail to take the load off of the engine block. The 12spd "powershift" is rather harsh, the 8spd straight gear trans is better IMO. The tractors themselves are pretty crude, but they are pretty durable (other than the brakes, which are JUNK).

I didnt mean bore sorry main journal size brainfart I knew what I was thinking it just was typed wrong

I had a 2290 and it was a good tractor. The only problems that I remember was a shifter cable broke a few times on the 8 speed.

isnt this whats in my 1570? that thing packs a good punch... cranked up to about 500hp.... our 2390 was a great tractor, its still going strong for the neighbor.

Back