CB Install in a 06 SD

Santa Gertrudis

6.4LTTFMF
Hey guys, Im going to be installing my new CB in my truck tomorrow along with an antenna. Any guidelines or warnings?:thankyou2:

Get your CB peaked and tuned. Get the BEST antenna you can afford to live with. Ground everything you can if your going to be running an amp.

Single antenna rg-8 or rg-58 (mini-8), cophased rg-59. About 14-18 ft length. If you come to Alvarado we can play with my meter on it, just lemme know if you're coming so I can bring it.

Guys, I just now got around to puttin it in today. Ive just got one question, should I always be hearing static to some extent? The only way I can hear anyone is when I have some static. Is this right? Im gonna try and get it tuned and everything tomorrow BTW. Can a stereo shop do it?

Not sure about the static. From what I have dealt with CBs, there is a squelch knob and I think a "RF" (I think it is called) Gain knob. The squelch operates the "static" pretty much. On mine, you could turn it to the right and it would back off and then you could turn it to the left and it would come back. There is a fine point in that squelch knob, if you turn it slow to where the noise just goes away. Don't hold me to it, but I think the RF gain function is for mic output.

In reference to TheBigNasty's post, the mini-8 is a good cable.

Just like the rest of the guys have said as well, get the thing peaked out..

I think with a good linear you could power down a few stereo systems within close proximity.

Last edited:
A cb amp is to only help get the signal out more not to receive more. To help you receive more he needs to start looking at a better antenna and GROUND everything. Don't let a stereo shop mess mess with the cb unless they KNOW what there doing.

If you do add a cb amp, be very careful when you use it. You can blow other cbs, stall vehicles, come over peoples radios, etc, etc.

Ok this is starting to make more sense. I have a very small radio, and it only has a volume control, a squelch, and of course a channel selector. I dont have anyway to mess with the gain. Im debating on getting a better radio here pretty soon. Im gonna play with this one for a few days, and see if it works out, it not, it was cheap and I can put it on my 4 wheeler or something. lol

Got a much better radio today, and Im taking it to a CB shop in the next town over to have it peaked and tuned. Thanks for all the help guys!

Ok guys, after messing with it alot, Im thinking about getting a linear. Ive heard about "keying down" and messing peoples radios up, and Im not real sure how that works. I dont want to mess up everybody elses radio. How do I avoid that? How is it done? Thanks

Now were talking. Get you a davemade 5 pill amp and a nice predator 10 k antenna and a nice cb unit. Don't skip on the wiring either. My coax is HUGE. Kill all the muducks.

Just make sure you ground EVERYTHING. The first time I keyed the mic with that setup I shut off my truck because of the RF. It will suck lots of power from your electrical also so make sure your batts and alt is in good condition.

Here is a site to show what a key down is. The whole object is to overpower the guy next to you. There will usually be some people around 2 miles + away from these people with a recording device to predict the winner.

http://www.bigradios.com/2005/

Some of these guys have hot rod motors and use nitrous to keep the motor turning just to keep all them alts spinning.

Here is a pic of my big radio. LOL
IMG_1578.JPG

Thanks Toby! That is BIG A$$ radio indeed. Ive got a 25 LTD Classic right now, and I really like it. Ive just got a regular coax going to a 3 foot antenna mounted on my bed rail. Its nothing special, but it gets the job done. Alot of the guys I go to school with have some sweet setups, and I just want to improve mine a little.

Santa Gertrudis said:
Also Toby, did you wire your radio directly to the battery? Where did you ground it out to?

The radio was hook into the fuse panel. The ground wire is grounded where my gauges are.

The amp was wired directly to the batts. I also did the big 3 to help with the volt dropping. I had no issues running it that way.

If you need any items, I have a friend that is very HUGE into it, and we can set up. Cb tuning, amps, antennas, etc etc. Its $$$ when you really want to get loud. I have around 1 grand in my setup.

Back