changed gov housings and truck wont idle

ktmracer21

smart a$$
ok so i swapped from an ag gov back to the standard governor w 5k gsk. had a shop do the swap on the pump (wimer fuel injection) also i pulled the head, replaced the fire rings and gasket. head is completely new...new valves, guides, seals. if i adjust the idle screw it seems to want to either sit at 2k or barely idle at 500. cant seem to get a happy medium.

now im wondering what am i missing? gov springs not set up right?

appreciate the input.

happy memorial day to all the vets out there.

5k don't like to idle.1000 is about all I could get them to idle.

had same problem on a buddies truck. Drive them around for awhile if possible. It seems to me that they "settle" a bit and become easier to adjust. His idles around 850 ish now

its just interesting that it'll idle at 12-1500 or so before it drops rpm and sputters out...not sure if thats related at all to the fact theres only one tiny spring on the throttle linkage...(didnt have anything else at the time, will be adressed this week)

Try loosening the gov springs a bit and resetting the idle. I found with the 5k kit in my 12mm pump that if they were too tight, it would idle too high, and if dropped below 1k-1100 rpm, it would die out. Couldn't let the clutch out at an idle in 1st gear without throttle or it would die. I was never able to get that pump to run properly with 4k's or 5k springs though.

Swapping in a 4k kit fixed the lack of bottom end fuel, it would idle properly and could let the clutch out without stalling. But it lost a ton of top end fuel. Check where your idle stop is set. With mine, I had to crank it all the way up. That should have been a clue to me that something wasn't right.

ya the idle screw is suppppper touchy...the lowest ive gotten it to idle is 1600. when i fire it i have to touch the pedal to get it to come up to 16 and it'll hold there...if i turn the idle screw down even a 1/16th turn it starts to lose rpm and it dies out.

i havent loosened the gov springs yet...choked myself outta my garage w the raw fuel lol

bump for this one...since nobody has come with cash to buy it im gonna tinker. gonna try backing the gov springs off...any other things to try and adjust?

bump for this one...since nobody has come with cash to buy it im gonna tinker. gonna try backing the gov springs off...any other things to try and adjust?

Measure the height of the inner spring and PM me. Most that I've seen are too tall and cause the idling problems that you have.

replied seth, loosened the springs a tad got er down to 1300 any lower same deal...sputters out....gonna keep trying

the only way i got my 5ks to idle was to leave them at 2 soft clicks. its scary how loose they are.

the only way i got my 5ks to idle was to leave them at 2 soft clicks. its scary how loose they are.

That's where i have to run my 13mm pump with 181's. It idles fine there and won't die when i put it in gear(5k springs). If I go up to 024's I can tighten it up 2 additional clicks and it will still idle. Kevin put 4k springs in my new pump so it would at least have a chance at being streetable. Haven't tried it yet.

i just put a 5k kit in my truck and this is exactly what is happening i loosened the springs and it seems to help but it either wants to run about 300rpm or 1200 glad to see its not just me

hamlin, see ctdyoungguns post....im about to go pull a spring and measure it up. if the pump guru says its too long, its too long!

Back