changing the torque converter

ChokeonmySmoke

Green Horn
OK.......
i haven't changed my torque converter yet, BUT. So far my truck when i floor it revs up to redline and my MPH start to move up slowly threw the gears till i guess it gets to 3rd or 4th then it locks up. so if i change my torque converter with a 3disc billet torque converter will it make the slow climb of my MPH and the bog of when i sit there boosting and then take off go away?? i don't know if its just me of what but my truck feels so much slower. i'm guessing its manily my tranny slipping but i might be wrong. so if i change my torque converter what can i expect??

you don't think that my wheels 22.5 inch have anything to do with me feeling like i'm running so slow??? :bang

What makes you think you need a 3-disc ? How many miles are on the trans now? What are your future plans on upgrades ?

You converter is most likely shot. A triple disch is much tighter. I'd call a couple converter manufacturers and talk with them about your application

Figure anything out yet?
I'm with RacinDuallie, what makes you think you need a tripple?

I'm still running a single but its beefy.

dan

Reguadless of the TQ........why do internals of a transmission have a 5 clutch pack set and not just one?

so the triple disc will make the tranny shift firmer ?? lock up sooner ?? i think what i have on there now is a single disc.

my truck has and engine and tranny have 40K miles on them. i would like to get 650 to 700 HP out of my truck.
is a triple disc converter the way to go ??

Heres the deal a smoked over single (after market) is good if your line pressure is up, so if you dont change the valve body and run a single you take a chance on burning it up. Triple disc has room for less line pressure, making 600 700 hp you need triple for sure

thanks you all for ur info.

i wanna test the clutches in my tranny make sure there not slipping. either way i gotta beef up the tranny.

A clutch or any clutch is designed to slip, if it were not...It would be a sprag.

For what you are planning Yoel you need a converter, if all you are after RIGHT NOW is to "get by" buy the BEST converter you can and follow that with a valve body ASAP. The stock internals will take a decent amount of abuse, but the stock converter is useless in a higher HP vehicle.

Triple disc at least on the converter, if you get a good one when you go through the tranny it's one less high dollar item you will have to buy, same goes for the VB.

Yoel, have you ever seen what happens to a transmission when the converter blows? ......

Burner said:
Yoel, have you ever seen what happens to a transmission when the converter blows? ......

no i haven't burner ?? would u like to show me a pic of one ? or a video if u have?? :aiwebs_029:

I have good news i guess u can call it that. its not my torque converter....or the clutches. at least thats what the transmission guy at my job told me. he said its prob my gear ratio on my truck. i'm running 22.5 inch wheels and my gear ratio is 3:73. so its making my engine rpm go higher to turn my big wheels. i'm gonna put the stocks back on and drive it around the same way i'm driving with the big wheels and look and my RPM's and see how they react. well i'll let u know how it turns out. one thing i could say is :

with a TST box. stock turbo and airraid intake and 4 inch exhuast and my stock wheels i ran the best of a 9.51 at 73 MPH in the 1/8 mile.

with a TST box. an upgraded turbo. airraid intake and 4 inch exhuast and my big 22.5 inch wheels. i ran a time of 9.91 at 76 Mph in the 1/8 mile.

do u think i'll run a better time if i put my stock wheels back on ??

Of course you will, the less mass you have to put in motion the better off you are going to be. A tall, heavy, tire and rim will kill your 60ft times, just ask Richard (Unbroken), he has a set of 22's on his Ford, his 60ft times are not that great.

Your stock converter is still unacceptable for big power. If you want to run 600+ hp you are going to need a full transmission. The converter and valvebody will work together, best to talk to a few shops about what is best. I have a full built Suncoast in mine, but I tend to sell more NADP trannies. Eiter is a great way to go. If you go for a converter and not the input shaft, well, its a gamble.

Also, the converters aren't tighter because of the triple disc. they are tighter because they are designed to be. A single disc will have the same fluid coupling as a comparable triple disc. The difference is in the number of clutches you have for lock up. Even with line pressure aside, a triple disk will hold more power.

Back