Clocking a VGT....oil feed and return angles

Nor_Cal_Angler

Hey all, going to be doing the VGT swap....I have a simple question for those that have done this and those that have a good working knowledge of turbo install's

I have read from holset that clocking is acceptable but they do not recommend more than a 5 degree rotation off of the verticle location.

This is (according to the writing) in an effort to keep oil free flowing.

What would be the issue if it more than 5 degrees..isn't it pressure fed thorough the turbo..the only time it might come into play is when sitting.

I don't plan on clocking it 90 derees, but for clearance issues, would say 20 degress be ok.

Thoughts welcome....

Jake

I had no problems clocking mine just take the pins out. Mine was vertical had no clearance issues.

Thanks but we may have two different issues...

1. your a 5 speed....so you got away with using a 6.7 manifold most likely

2. I know I can clock it...but research is suggesting that taking the electronics (center) section to far off of verticle will cause dammage to the seals and rings inside from oil not draining properly.

I cant use a 6.7 manifold becasue of the heat exchanger below the manifold. I have a AT.

I think that after speaking with people locally, I can clock the exhaust housing and compressor housing where ever I want...but the center of the turbo where the oil feed and oil drain is, should not be clocked more than 20 degrees off of the stock position (verticle)

Jake

I would not rotate the center section more than what Holsets' spec says. Simply because they probably have that as the spec for a reason, i.e. oiling. I wouldn't risk it anyway.

I hear ya...but 5 degress is not even noticed....

I have a service sheet that says 30 degrees below the horizontal???? on the drain tube....

"Holset permits oil return pipes to decline at an overall angle of not less than 30 degrees below horizontal. All turbocharger applications require a pipe of internal diameter greater than 19 mm which has integrated
connectors. To ensure oil returns into the engine under all operating conditions, the return connection into the engine sump must not be submerged and the outlet flange of the turbocharger must be 50 mm above the maximum oil level of the engine sump pan. Crankcase pressure should be limited ideally to 0.8 kPa (0.12 lbf/in2) but 1.4 kPa (0.20 lbf/in2) can be accepted by reference to Holset."

So I guess...based upon my go to wrencher...clocking up to 20 degrees (housing) shouldn't cause problems...and drain line not to be less than 30 degrees below horizontal...

IDK

Jake

Drain tube must be no less than 30° from a horizontal line basically means that if you were to draw a horizontal line across the mounting surface of the drain tube (2 bolt flange on the bottom of the center section of the turbo), and measure the angle between it and the centerline of the drain tube:

draintube.jpg

So that tolerance is basically only controlling the angle of the drain tube, in order to ensure that oil will flow well through the tube. Since the drain to the oil pan is in a fixed location, this angle could be changed depending on the installed height of the turbo and the distance that the turbo is from the engine horizontally.

In other words, the "30° from horizontal" tolerance does not necessarily dictate the angle of the center section from horizontal (or vertical, depending on which machined surface you decide to use for a reference). It only controls the angle of the drain tube.

You either need to find the spec that controls the rotation of the center section with respect to a horizontal or vertical line, or just get it as close as you possibly can. I got the oil inlet and drain to be very close to vertical on my 351ve with a stock 12 valve manifold. Although I did have to make a set of upper shock mounts out of 3/8" steel plate in order to make the turbo fit how I felt would be best.

Last edited:
You and I are on the exact same page....

I just didnt have the means to draw it out like that...I understand the "only the drain tube" can be no less than 30 from the horizontal....I was saying that if I can clock the center about 15 degrees and get clearence with the electronics on the shock tower...then use the 30 degrees with the tube...I might be able to keep an even flow down....

So you have an AT as well????

I have pondered the shock tower mod....to get the fitment...do you run it with the fleece or with a WG Spring thinggy ma do...

I have everything I need just sitting here on the bench (minus heater core tube, and extra oil drain tube but those are easy pick ups) I just cant get around the fitting...

I will not be deleting the heat exhchanger at any cost...Most adapters for the manifolds push the turbo out to far, and the shock mod just seems wrong to me (jepordize's is that a word ..lol...to much) it could mess up real easy in my eyes (front end issues)...I am gonna prob. do the machine the exhaust housing and re-drill to a t3 so that I do not need an adaptor and keep the housing as sucked into the head as possible.

If you do have an auto and did the swap using Fleece's stuff... would you mind a phone call....shoot me a PM.

Jake

Sorry I do not have an auto, and am not using the Fleece controller.

What leads you to believe that replacing the shock towers jeopardizes the front end? As long as you can get the shock mount hole in the center of the plate, you're good. I have a drawing of the plates on the site somewhere, I'd just find a machine shop with a CNC mill and have them make them for you.

Hi guys, sorry im late to the party but I hope you can provide some valuable feedback.
Im working on my car (944 turbo) trying to install a he351VE.
Anyway So it seems the only way I can fit it currently it with the Oil path horizontally, as the Controller wont fit anyway but on top.

So from all I've read in this thread.... Im not clear if it will work or not.
I can have the oil draining directly DOWNWARD right after it exits the housing... so will THAT work??
Also from what ive read, I can have the it oriented 60 from veritcal (in relation to where the Controler is not, as that is the main factor in orienting this), in other words as long the outlet is 30* lower than the inlet?

Back