Clutch from hell

I just went through this on a 99 5spd truck and it turned out to be too much up and down movement on the input. Pulled it back out and found needed mainshaft because it was worn bad where the pocket bearing for the input connects to the mainshaft. Now it works great!

Finger broke on mine as well, and caused similar issues. I went with a diaphragm style.

None of this inspires any confidence, I really hope it's a throw out bearing so I can have her buttoned up quick!

Meh, just do it on chest day. That way you won't have to spend all those hours at the gym; that should give you plenty of time.

Meh, just do it on chest day. That way you won't have to spend all those hours at the gym; that should give you plenty of time.

Chest day was yesterday, so I'm chit outta luck there. I've been forced to drive a King Ranch around in the mean time and it's really killing my motivation to be back driving a Dodge... The only thing I miss is the power.

Finger style plate no beuno for DD I found out the hard way myself years ago Kyle.

Anti lever style pp? Thats all I have ever owned

We've ran both lever and finger and only advantage I've noticed of the finger is the lighter pedal resistance compared to the lever style. I trust lever over diaphram though.

Agreed, I have yet to have a clutch issue thats pp related. I have been thought several South bend clutches.

Last edited:
Anti lever style pp? Thats all I have ever owned

No I've had several South Bend lever clutches, they just aren't ideal for a DD truck. I found this out the hard way having to do the same thing Kyle is dropping the tranmission.

I currently now have a diaphram 3250 SBC in my now retired 97 and I love it!

Agreed, I have yet to have a clutch issue thats pp related. I have been thought several South bend clutches.

We have one truck that has issues and we are pretty sure the pressure plate is the issue. I have installed and ran lever or diaphragm and both major diesel brands. Haven't really had issues with the PP other than this latest one but you never know since humans were involved in building them.

Fingers on the pressure plate broke. Once again I'm waiting on shipping parts out to have them shipped back. I have HORRIBLE luck with clutches. If I didn't have so much money to spend on the house I'd just order up a triple!

Fingers on the pressure plate broke. Once again I'm waiting on shipping parts out to have them shipped back. I have HORRIBLE luck with clutches. If I didn't have so much money to spend on the house I'd just order up a triple!

I feel ya man. I have terrible luck with clutches too... I'm about to drop the whole tranny/t-case on the landcruiser because the stupid pilot bushing has wallered itself out and is allowing the input shaft to dance around. A $5 part the size of an exhaust bung. The VW always had engagement issues with the aftermarket clutch setups and i eventually had to shim the throwout bearing after replacing slave/hydraulic lines/re-torquing the pp.. It's always one thing or the other.. Hope it works well for you now! Good luck!

Last edited:
Back