Common rail head

Justappumped24v

Well I'm in need of head work or just a new head for my 06 common rail daily driver. Just curious being new to common rails what the opinions are. I see d and j sells common rail heads but are they worth it? Anyone else besides Industrial infection do head work trying to get some more cfm outta it. So shops that do heads or places to buy already machines ones and your experience with them would be much appreciated

Mountain high Performance does some good work. I wouldn't run the bigger valves they offer on a 5.9.

Mountain high Performance does some good work. I wouldn't run the bigger valves they offer on a 5.9.

x2. Great shop and super knowledgeable.
I'm fairly certain Hamilton has a line that's not officially released but you can PM and purchase right now.

Thanks guys. Why do you suggest not going to the bigger valve though? Clearance problems?

I'm not familiar with that. Could you explain it for me

The valves are so close together that the air coming in or out gets more turbulent and slower. That's because they're crossing paths and kind of fighting eachother.

I'm not sure I agree it would be a problem for you though.

It's actually because the valves are very close to the cylinders.
I've pulled apart some 5.9's that had bent valves and they wore a nice groove in the top of the cylinder wall.
Pretty close tolerances when you can bend a valve, not break it and have the valve wear a notch into the cylinder.
You'd think they would have felt the thing missing for thousands of miles!

Imagine what a bigger valve would do.

Mark.

Back