Compound 7.3?

cetanefreek

haven't seen it anywhere on here, has anyone tried running compounds with the stock GTP38? I have an 80mm charger I'm thinking of using as a primary on my 7.3

You can try it. If it doesn't work out well throw a 38r in it's place which has been done a few times. I'd probably gate the crap out of it though.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

Stock turbo will not survive as a high pressure turbo. Plenty of people have tried. 38r has been used and works, needs to be gated.

I had heard the 38 is a bit weak in the shaft I just had not seen it done. my 80mm into a 38r is still cheaper than an IRATE mount and a Bell turbo.

I had heard the 38 is a bit weak in the shaft I just had not seen it done. my 80mm into a 38r is still cheaper than an IRATE mount and a Bell turbo.
I chose to go a different route than the 38R because I figured it would be cheaper, in the long run, to go with a more proven set up and I'd probably end up happier.

The best advise I ever got on this subject was to just copy a known, proven combination until I was more comfortable and confidant in sizing turbo's for a particular application. Why try to prove something with the 38R when there are better combinations out there and the price of going from stock to a T4 or T4i isn't all that much in the overall scheme of things.

It's not that it's weak, it's just very easy to achieve an extremely high backpressure:boost ratio, which will kill just about any turbo in short order.

understood, is there any reason that a looser turbine housing wouldn't address the issue?

I chose to go a different route than the 38R because I figured it would be cheaper, in the long run, to go with a more proven set up and I'd probably end up happier.

The best advise I ever got on this subject was to just copy a known, proven combination until I was more comfortable and confidant in sizing turbo's for a particular application. Why try to prove something with the 38R when there are better combinations out there and the price of going from stock to a T4 or T4i isn't all that much in the overall scheme of things.

If I was going to a T4 or T4i I don't think I'd be looking at compounds, for what this rig will be doing a single should be more than sufficient. I just started my college education about 10 years later than I should have so my budget is pretty tight. I was considering compounds with the stocker since I already have an 80mm garrett that I thought would work well.

understood, is there any reason that a looser turbine housing wouldn't address the issue?

To a point.

There comes a time for a turbo that even a larger turbine housing doesn't generate effective air flow on the compressor side. Sure you can swap from a .84 to a 1.0 or even 1.15 turbine housing, and yes you'll see a drop in backpressure at certain boost levels. However, you still aren't changing what the compressor side will flow, so the effects of a larger turbine housing are limited.

Change what the compressor side will flow, and you'll see a much greater difference. For example, the 2nd Gen Wicked Wheel has seen massive improvements in air flow on the stock charger, maintaining far closer to a 1:1 ratio at much higher boost levels than just a simple turbine housing swap can achieve. So you might want to seriously consider that as an option first.

I've been considering that, I wanted to hear some real world results before I ordered one though. There's a turbo shop near me that will machine the backplate to put a 38R compressor wheel in my stocker for pretty cheap, I was thinking a 1.0 A/R turbine housing with the 66/88 (38R) Gen 2 wicked wheel in/on my stock turbo would get me where I want to go. This is my DD and tow rig so I've been thinking 400 hp will be my goal until I'm done with school and back to work.

It's either that or pull the 7.3 and put my built Cummins in it, but I've got the nagging suspicion that the whole thing would end up being a huge pain in the ass and I'd end up riding my bike everywhere for a year.

Had a buddy that did that, had a 38r wheel machined to fit, and did a banks quick spool turbine housing, loves it, didn't realize they had a wicked wheel to for the 38r, thought it was just the factory one

Back