Compound Questions

rkadcock

I'm getting ready to install my compounds on my 12v but had a few questions. I'm running a "side by side" setup with a 63/68 over a s488 on a Steed Speed manifold with a JGS 40mm wastegate.

For the boost line which goes to the wastegate, I was originally going to weld a bung into the intercooler pipe right off the s300 but now that I have my s300 in my hands; the compressor housing is already tapped for a reference. Does it matter if I get a boost reference for the gate at the comp housing or the IC pipe? I wouldn't think it would matter since it goes through a regulator but since I've never used and external gate before I just wanted to check.

While on the subject of using an external gate. Do I need to run some kind of flexible bellow between the gate and the hot pipe? I was planning on it but the distance is so short that by the time I put the bellow on the hot pipe is already turning back to the front of the truck.

Lastly sin,ce I'm using a 3rd gen comp cover does anyone make a IC pipe from the turbo to the intercooler? I don't have any problems fabricating my own piping if not. I'm just strapped for time at the moment with school and finishing our FSAE car that the less time I have to build my own piping the better.

2015-03-17%2019.43.07_zpsnhhv6uez.jpg

All you need is a silicone 45 from the turbo to the inter cooler pipe. I had to loosen the clamp on the intercooler pipe by the ic and then put the coupler on the turbo and pipe, then go and tighten the other one up.

And you need to clock the compressor housing so the outlet is all the way down.

All you need is a silicone 45 from the turbo to the inter cooler pipe. I had to loosen the clamp on the intercooler pipe by the ic and then put the coupler on the turbo and pipe, then go and tighten the other one up.

I'll have to look into that. The way it is clocked now, the outlet sits right above the hot pipe, and if I clock it with the outlet below the hot pipe the housing sits extremely close to the manifold.

I do like Stainless Diesels intercooler pipe. I was thinking of getting that, cutting it in the middle, and adding a boot to get the length I want but at the same time I don't really want to add another boot.

Where did you get those nice oil drain setup's?

I made them. The person I got the piping and lines from had hydraulic lines for the drains and I wanted to clean it up a little. I just ordered all the fittings and hose and just built the new drains and feeds to mimic the ones that originally came with the kit

Last edited:
^that will not survive in the environment the op is looking at.

That definitely won't work since I'll have the manifold flipped to allow the hotpipe to come underneath the compressor and I don't feel comfortable having the housing clocked with it being so close to the manifold like in this pic

2015-03-17%2018.21.07_zpsf7fvoj9y.jpg

The more I look at it, I think my only solution is to fabricate my own. It's only 2 90°s and a small section of straight pipe. I'll just have to wait until I start putting it all in the truck to get the piping tacked. Only down side is I'll have to wait until my primary shows up

Oh that's right I forgot your manifold will be flipped

Back