computer issues

7.3 Stroke

a friend of mine has a 99 7.3 and fried his computer i have an 01 7.3 would the computer out of mine work on his

well i just talked to him he said he installed my pcm on his truck reconnected the batteries and had it runnin for a minute and it died, now there is no power to the truck at all.

pocket its the same tranny but its an early 99 would that make a difference
Quite a few folks put a 99.5-01 PCM into their early 99's. The PCM's from 02-03 trucks won't work.

well i just talked to him he said he installed my pcm on his truck reconnected the batteries and had it runnin for a minute and it died, now there is no power to the truck at all.

Apparently there's something else wrong with his truck.

VDH will work but wierd things happen, check eng light on, A/C won't work....Pinouts are different but it will get ya by in a pinch to get home.

im not sure on the code i sold him a ts 6 pos chip and after he put it on the truck wouldnt start he took it back off and it started fine, then he put the chip back on while the truck was running and it killed and wont start at all now. I swapped all the fuses under the hood out with mine and still nothing is there a relay or something i might be missing?

im not sure on the code i sold him a ts 6 pos chip and after he put it on the truck wouldnt start he took it back off and it started fine, then he put the chip back on while the truck was running and it killed and wont start at all now. I swapped all the fuses under the hood out with mine and still nothing is there a relay or something i might be missing?
Well there's the problem. Putting the chip in or pulling it out when the truck is running or even when the key is in the ignition is a HUGE no no.

Heck, folks who pull the chip with just the key in the ignition but in the off position have fried PCM's and IDM's. God knows what your friend fried by sticking a chip in while the truck was actually RUNNING!!! :gag:

NEVER have the key in the ignition when messing with the chip.

Good luck with that. It's going to be hell trying to figure out what all is wrong with that truck now.

well i ended up just going and lookin at it myself and all it ended up being was two dead batteries, his pcm was fried so hes using mine and is workin fine. thanks again

Back