coolant change

jerridmetal

Doing a coolant flush soon, i will be switching from DEX to green, anything special i need to know when doing this?

Just make sure you get it flushed fully! Including all lines and heater core. You can switch them, just can't mix them.

Do I do that by just running it till the thermostat opens with water in it till it drains clear?

Might as well just put Dex back in it. I drained mine when I changed my fpr and when I filled it back up it only held 4 gallons or so until the overflow was full. Countless times at operating temp and I haven't had to add a single drop. Maybe I'm wrong but draining, flushing and refilling everything seems to be a bish.. unless our trucks only hold 4 gallons of coolant but I had read/heard 6. Any specific reason for switching to green?

Might as well just put Dex back in it. I drained mine when I changed my fpr and when I filled it back up it only held 4 gallons or so until the overflow was full. Countless times at operating temp and I haven't had to add a single drop. Maybe I'm wrong but draining, flushing and refilling everything seems to be a bish.. unless our trucks only hold 4 gallons of coolant but I had read/heard 6. Any specific reason for switching to green?

Simple! Dex-Cool sucks! Dex severely eats away aluminum parts over time, very corrosive.

Do I do that by just running it till the thermostat opens with water in it till it drains clear?

Id say run it with the petcock in the rad out and just constanly fill it with water while its running/draining till it runs clear. draint the water and fill with green 50/50.

Simple! Dex-Cool sucks! Dex severely eats away aluminum parts over time, very corrosive.

My 01 with 180k on the clock and 10 years old looked just fine when I did headgaskets 2 years ago, so did all the other aluminum parts that the coolant flows. The couple headgasket jobs ive done everything also looked great on 7 and 8 year old trucks.

Ide just leave it and keep running the Dex, i haven't heard of anything to support Dex wrecking these trucks. Unless im missing something.

Not speakin from experience with dmaxs, just what I see all the time in gm car engines...

I wasnt even going to argue with you. Ive heard all the moans and groans about dexcool but by the time anything is eaten away the truck will probably have more serious issues. It will be easier to drain the radiator and refill it.with dexcool.. especially if youve never done it before. There is a 12mm bolt on top of the t stat housing that you can loosen up or remove to drain everything quicker. Also makes it easier to know when youre full instead of relying on the overflow. Just my .02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

Only time it's corrosive is when it's been in there too long. If maintained like anything else it works perfectly

Not speakin from experience with dmaxs, just what I see all the time in gm car engines...

What GM car engine had the intake hold up long enough to not puke all the dexcool down into the bottom end? :hehe:

I agree with JD4440.

Back