coolant leak

WyomingDiesel

my buddy just bought a 01 lb7, It runs great doesnt get hot and showing no coolant in the oil but when he went to change the oil today there were some coolant drops on the oil filter a few on the driveline and tranny crossmember on drivers side. Is the headgasket going, does it have a cracked head, or is there anything else that it could be on the drivers side rear?

there are 2 rubber o-ring that are behind the flywheel housing they are for the cooling system. im doing mine right now while i have my tranny out getting built. its being a pain in the ass i havent got it off yet and it takes a few special tools to do it. ill let you kown when i get mine done and if there are any tricks

if this is where you leak is coming from and the truck is 4x4 good luck! cus you have to take off your lower and upper oil pan and to get them off you have to drop out the front diff and to get that out you have to remove the steering linkage,the turbo oil return line,oil cooler,tranny,flywheel and a bunch of little ****. if i knew it was going to be this bad i would pay somebody else to do it or just keep adding coolant every few weeks

You don't have to drop all those parts to get the back plate off of a duramax. Pull the trans,flywheel,and lower oil pan. Take the nuts off the oil return line on top of the plate. Tha elbow of the oil cooler on the driver side comes off,then take out the studs that it bolts to. Straight up inside the oil pan is 3 allen head bolts and 1 outside the oil pan.Then take out all the bolts holding it to the block and pull it off. It is easier than it looks,once you do it you will see it is not that bad.We have done several of them. Also look at the rear corners of the head where it bolts to the block for your leak. We have had several leaking there at the head gaskets.I have had some really good guys help me out and I always said I would help some others out to repay the help,so if I can be any help guys let me know. Thanks Eddie

well i wish you could been at my house when i did mine cus i had all that **** off and stilled trying to get mine off and broke it in half cus some people told me the same thing. then as soon as i broke lose the bolts on the upper pan it fell off by itself. not trying to be a dick just saying you must know some tricks. and you are right its not that bad once you do it the first time

well i wish you could been at my house when i did mine cus i had all that **** off and stilled trying to get mine off and broke it in half cus some people told me the same thing. then as soon as i broke lose the bolts on the upper pan it fell off by itself. not trying to be a dick just saying you must know some tricks. and you are right its not that bad once you do it the first time

sorry to hear that. I had trouble the first one I did because it was already in 100's of pieces where the customer destroyed it. Good Luck and hang in there. Thanks Eddie

Back