couple questions-cam bearings, cam timing, p-pump oil line,

Yeah doing it that way is sooo much easier than with the cover on. It also makes it easy to find TDC since the crank has that little pin that points at 12 O'clock at TDC. If you need to borrow one shoot me a PM, I have a Blue Point kit just collecting dust...

Yes, you need a cam bearing driver, or if you had access to a lathe you can make your own.

i can have one made, is it just a round tool the diameter of the bushing to drive it in evenly? what about getting the old one out?

i can have one made, is it just a round tool the diameter of the bushing to drive it in evenly? what about getting the old one out?

anyone??? i ordered a new bushing today, gotta figure out the best way to do this

You can buy the tool that pulls it out and pushed the new one in for around $100, or I am sure that Scott could make one at work, we would just need some specs on it if anyone has one.

This is what the tool looks like just measure your new cam bushing and make it a few thousands smaller then the bushing.

Attachments

• b series cam  bushing driver.jpg
    b series cam bushing driver.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 42
That looks like it would push the bearing into the block, is there a way to pull it out instead?

If he has the pan off just push it threw and it will fall down and come out the bottom. The only ones I seen that pull them out from the front would be for the last cam bushing in the bigger diesel engines for doing in chassis will the bellhousing on. They have four or more grooves cut in the tool and a cone, that when you tighten the bolt it spreads the tool and it has a lip on the far side that when tightened it is the same size as the bushing. Works kind of like a exhaust pipe expander.

The motor is still in the truck so the oil pan is still on it. I guess that we need to make something that will expand and pull the bearing out. Getting it back in is easy enough.

I have an idea on how to machine a puller. When T.J gets the new bearing i need to measure it up so i can make the puller.

Back