Cummins 12v into a 97 6.5 chevy 2wd.

red dodge2

Wanting to know what all is involved. Ive been doing some research on it. I believe the best route is to find a donor truck. Thr truck that its getting swapped into is a 97 2wd 3500hd with a nv4500. If anyone has any pictures of one they did would be great! This has a I beam from suspension. Idk if that would be a problem or not. Any info would be great!

On the transmission, change out the bellhousing to a dodge and swap the input shaft, then you can run a dodge style clutch. Friend of mine did the swap on a 96 or 97 3500 2wd also.

There are a few swaps with pictures floating around, the biggest thing that I noticed was that you have to cut a big portion of the cross member out

Ya, wondering if anyone mAke engine mounting brackets for them? Or how you decide how far in you will need to set the engine

Im pretty sure that non HD conversion brackets will work just fine after the cross member is notched bud

CIMG0009.jpg

Autoworld mounts don't require cutting or a body lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought u had to notch the cross member due to the height of the 12v

Nope, cumminsdieselrepowers.com is where you need to get em from

Attachments

• DSCN0242.jpg
    DSCN0242.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
Transmission will have to be moved back approx 4" with the cummins bell housing and take a hammer to the firewall/floorpan seam in the tunnel, otherwise it drops right in. ken even gives you a template to lay over the old mount holes to locate the new holes to drill

so the only reason the notch the cross member would be so that if a guy ever wanted to pull the oil pan off with engine is in vehicle right? other wise is clears without any modification? how does the stock fan and everything fit with mounting the engine in the stock location of the 6.5?

Supposedly you can use a Dodge mechanical fan and everything but I have used electric fans on all of my rigs, I think for some people's motor mounts you have to have the notch but for the ones that I've been using on street trucks anyways it may be tight but it works without doing that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running autoworld single mounts and a stock dodge mechanical fan. Also being that yours is a 3500 hd, you don't have to worry about front diff clearance.

We made our own mounts to set the motor lower in the truck no body lift and no firewall mods were needed also running a factory fan. The engine sits about an inch off of the cross member. The 6.5 rad sits at an angle towards the engine a rad from a 89 to 91? fits into the core support straight up and down and gives more space. It also gets rid of that goofy pressurized coolant res. Here is the build if it help http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83115
Rich

Last edited:
Back