Cummins into 6.5 Chevy? School Me

macanic21

I'm pretty set on doing this. I heard that a 96 and newer NV in a 6.5 Chevy will bolt directly to a Cummins. Is this true?

It seems to me that any Chevy NV would just need a bell housing and input shaft change. Is there any Chevy years that I can just bolt the Cummins to without changing anything?

What will I need to mate the Cummins to the NV that in the Chevy?

Thanks guys!

and I think you'll want to upgrade to the larger 1-3/8" input shaft while you're at it.

Dodge adapter plate, flywheel, bell housing, input shaft, and hydro clutch cylinders

93-95 chevy nv had a lower first gear ratio so a dodge input WILL NOT work in those year models but a 96 up it will and is the truck ur swapping the cummins into is it a 4x4?

Truck will be a 4x4. Does anyone make an input shaft for the 95 and earlier transmissions? I planned on buying a stronger input shaft anyway.

Chevycummins, why would I need an adapter plate if I change the bell housing? I'm not sure what you mean.

I do not know of anyone that makes a input that will work in the early nv and if u buy a dodge bellhousing it will bolt up to a cummins out of a dodge truck if u buy a motor out of a school bus u will need a dodge engine adpter plate also like he was talking about or that's what I think he was meaning

On the 4x4 I converted for a guy it cut the center out of the ifs crossmember and used a piece of c channel and run it frame rail to frame rail under it to get me the clearance I needed so I could side the engine back as far as I could where I could run a dodge fan and intercooler

Well, I was planning on electric fans just to skip the hassle of making a fan shroud and to keep the engine out of the firewall. I'm planning on keeping the trans at the stock location. I'm assuming thats possible?

I didn't know that about the 96+ NV so thats very helpful. Now I just need to find a truck that the interior and body is in OK shape.

Are there specific motor mounts people like to use? Or is it just adapt what ever you have? I could just get a set of Small block chevy engine mounts, or is there a better option?

true 95 has the same gear ratio as the 96 up, but uses the old smaller Chevy front register. You can use a mechanical clutch, but will have to turn the the Dodge piece down to mate to the case. I converted a 95 about 8-10 years ago. I saw it a few months back and it is still running as converted.

Ah, so I can't just buy the Dodge taller first gear set, the case is actually different. I would rather just buy a new hydro clutch setup. I'm guessing I would just buy a complete Dodge clutch, master and slave cylinder setup.

Seems like an engine/trans swap is easier. NV4500 if you decide that route.

Well, I think just the engine would be easier but maybe not. Would the Dodge NV bolt to the chevy transfer case? Could I just swap tail housings and output shafts to get it to work? Also, I'm planning on buying a manual truck so I don't want to have to buy another trans if I don't need to.

Where are u located ? Why I ask is I have a friend with a rolling 96 chevy 3500 4x4 that was converted to a cummins truck he wants to sale but it needs a motor he is just to lazy to put it back together nv4500 and tcase are still in the truck ready to go he pulled the engine to build it and never done it

Well, I think just the engine would be easier but maybe not. Would the Dodge NV bolt to the chevy transfer case? Could I just swap tail housings and output shafts to get it to work? Also, I'm planning on buying a manual truck so I don't want to have to buy another trans if I don't need to.
Not without changing the main shaft. I have a GM setup with dodge bell housing and input shaft that I used in my 94 k2500

OK, so one guy says I can't convert a 95 and older NV and one guy says he converted a 94... Whats the deal? Can i just have a machine shop open up a 95 and older case to accept the bigger Dodge bearing and get the correct 1st gear to match?

Chevycummins, is your trans a 94 or is it newer?

I'm in Bethel, PA near Harrisburg.

OK, so one guy says I can't convert a 95 and older NV and one guy says he converted a 94... Whats the deal? Can i just have a machine shop open up a 95 and older case to accept the bigger Dodge bearing and get the correct 1st gear to match?

Chevycummins, is your trans a 94 or is it newer?

I'm in Bethel, PA near Harrisburg.
Mine is newer I had standard transmission in Texas put it together when I purchased it

04.5 rohling I'm interested in your buddy's 96 if he still has it call me 770/900-0707

Back