Cutting a window in a trailer

DISTURBED

YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Has anyone cut a window in a trailer or box van? What's the easiest way to do it with out wrinkling the skin? Can it be done with out having to remove all the interior plywood

Last edited:
That's a possibility. I need to put a couple windows in my totter and I can't find anyone local that will even consider doing it for me so I may do it myself. Was just looking to see if anyone had done them and what the easiest way to do it was.

I would say rotozip which could go through both sides at once although it might have difficulty going through any structural members. I have not done it but I would personally use a rotozip and a grinder with cut off wheel if I had to cut one it. When putting in the new window remember, caulk/silicone is your friend.

I have a metal cutting circular saw that would slice right through an aluminum, structural or not. Might be an option if you know anyone with one?

Chris

My only concern with something like that is its going to mess up the outer skin

Get a piece of plywood larger than the window opening. Drill a few holes within the area you are going to cut out. Put bolts in those hole, and "clamp" the plywood to the outer skin.

I would think this would hold the metal flat and you should be able to even use a recip saw on it.

^^^ sounds like the best way, to me. That, with a think cutoff wheel or the metal skilsaw blade should work.

Get a piece of plywood larger than the window opening. Drill a few holes within the area you are going to cut out. Put bolts in those hole, and "clamp" the plywood to the outer skin.

I would think this would hold the metal flat and you should be able to even use a recip saw on it.

I had thought about doing it that way

You could probably even run some drywall screws into the siding on the inside of the cut line to help hold the siding to the plywood while you cut it out. That should help the siding from tearing out.

Or screw on some small wood/aluminum slats on the inside of the cut line to use as a straight edge for your cut. The offset on my DeWalt cordless is around 1" and with a fine tooth blade I wouldn't be afraid to cut it out that way.

Did you get a milwaukee M18 metal cutting saw? We have one that cuts strut and other metal like butter.

Yes, I have a 5-3/8" M18 version, and the 8" corded version as well. The corded will slice through 1/2" steel like butter. I have cut 1" with it if you have time to kill.

Chris

If it's aluminum skin just use a normal carbide circular saw blade made for wood. You don't need any special blades or saws. Don't even consider an abrasive wheel on alum, all it will do is plug up and make things look like crap. I put a door in the side of a Great Dane 48' van with a friend, nothing to it.

I've put a door and windows in my 50' gooseneck and used my Milwaukee 8" metal saw for most of the work the hard part was doing the radiuses for the window corners, ended up using a fine tooth jig saw. The biggest thing is to rebuild a good solid frame around the openings inside the wall to tie in the frame work, before you put in the window or door. If you don't the outer skin will break in the corners from the abuse going down the road.

Last edited:
Jig saw and a carbine tooth circular saw wood blade. Rock out with the chicken out. Tape the edges of course, dont want to scratch the paint.

Back