Dana 80 posi failures under power?

deerefanatic

Always learnin...
Hey guys, I've got a Dana 80 dually axle, drum brake, unknown year under my 88 Chevy/Cummins. It has a used set of 3.54 gears and carrier, also unknown year in it. They were not properly setup in the axle they came out of, and I could never get em to pattern right..... Well, fast forward to today, the rear end howls at certain speeds and makes metal. I'm getting ready to do some towing and putting a lot of miles on the truck here in the coming months.

I'm OBVIOUSLY going to be putting in a new R&P and Bearings, but am a little worried about the carrier. I don't know if it's a trak-lok or power lock. I just know it's a 2 piece carrier with 4 spider gears..... Which doesn't narrow things down at all. LOL Anyhow, I know a guy that has blown up 3 dodge posi's on the road at around the 500hp level, which is where I'm at. The last thing I want is this rear end going caboom when I'm 600 miles from home. Should I go to a better rear end, or will the posi hold up just fine to heavy towing?

or, is it the bolts that fail holding the case halves together? Maybe time for some better bolts/studs.....

What's everyone's thoughts on a lockrite? I can get a 3.54 open carrier locally for cheap... would make a pretty cheap upgrade.

I have broken two of the factory limited slip differentials in my 01 24 valve. Have since put a detroit true track in and have had that for just over two years. Cannot break it and i have tried and most of that time was with a compound twin setup on truck. Lots of boosted launches, sideways around corners, heavy towing, works flawlessly. Acts as an open carrier until under power. Id highly recommend one as it has worked good for me.

I've beat on this one a little.. (couple dozen boosted launches) and it's held.... I just don't like playing russian roulette......

I have broken two of the factory limited slip differentials in my 01 24 valve. Have since put a detroit true track in and have had that for just over two years. Cannot break it and i have tried and most of that time was with a compound twin setup on truck. Lots of boosted launches, sideways around corners, heavy towing, works flawlessly. Acts as an open carrier until under power. Id highly recommend one as it has worked good for me.

another vote for detroit truetrac

Back