Dash lights and tail lights fuse keeps blowing

cerickson

fullpull108
Went to retrieve my sister in law and her redbone coon dogs yesterday. She broke down about 30 miles east of Effingham Il. It was 350 miles one way. She was by her self with her 3 dogs. She called us at 11 am yesterday morning. Of course we were on our way to the lake with the pontoon in tow. Long story short left out at about 1 by the time we got home and got a unsullied trailer to get her jeep on.

Got there unloaded the father in laws truck to hook up to the dog box trailer and loaded her jeep on the trailer. Started getting dusk out so on came the lights. Everything was good for about 20 minutes then pow. There goes my taillights and my dash lights. No big deal I thought. Pulled over next exit and popped a new fuse in. First big bump in the road and the damn thing toasted the new fuse.

I got to thinking maybe it was the pos uhaul trailer wiring. So pulled over next exit and inserted new fuse and checked all the wiring. Didn't find and bad grounds or anything. I did have brake lights and turn signals. Sucked having to drive thru St Louis with no taillights.

Question I have is what all should I look at to find out what's going. Thanks in advance.

Hot is shorting to ground. It is not an open ground condition. I'd say if it has never done it with another trailer I would chalk it up to POS UHaul.

I tried unplugging the trailer to see if it would cure the problem. Wanted to at least have my dash lights to keep an eye on my gauges. To no avail, after unhooking plug it was still popping fuses. Tried it again this morning when the truck was cooled down. Lights was on for about 15 minutes until it blew the fuse. Looked at wires under dash, under the hood, taillights. Can't see anything. It is a 15 amp fuse all I had in my glove box were 20's and 30's. Was popping the 30's every time I hit a big bump in the road.

Last edited:
Ahh, that's good info. Well there is no golden bullet. I'd start at the trailer connector (don't forget to check the terminals as they can get bent) and work my way up to the battery. First pass I'm looking for signs of chafing. If none are found then I start opening up wiring harnesses.

Back