Death Wobble

BCS

Anybody know how to fix the death wobble? 06 With 4"dr suspension lift & dual steering stablizer 35" Toyo muds. pulled my 5000lb trailer this week end and the truck was all over the road darting right to left and vise versa. Anybody have this problem? If so whats The fix? could it be the adjustable track bar is not adjusted right. or could it be the tires?

Check and make sure the trac bar is properly torqued.
Also, have you had it aligned?

Check and make sure the trac bar is properly torqued.
Also, have you had it aligned?

Yes I did have A alignment done But all they really did was align my steering wheel. are you talking about the upper bolt? I did tighten that bolt up It seems like the bolt has alittle to much play in the sleeve Is that normal?

Yep its the trac bar. Tighten that mofo as much as you can and then tighten again.

Thanks Adam.

Yes I did have A alignment done But all they really did was align my steering wheel. are you talking about the upper bolt? I did tighten that bolt up It seems like the bolt has alittle to much play in the sleeve Is that normal?

The upper should be torqued to 410ft/lbs. Try a breaker bar, with about a 4foot extension; that usually does the trick.

Downside is that now that you have had death wobble, you could have slightly ovaled the hole. Those 19mm bolts already fit in there kind of loose (and even worse on some manufacturers drop brackets). If the retorquing (while the vehicle is sitting on its own weight) does not do it, then you need to put a 7/8" bolt in place of the 19mm, so it fits tighter. You may or may not need to open up the sleeve/through hole to do this.

Also, loosen and retighten all radius arm bolts on the ground. Might as well check the pitman arm nut while you are at it.

Edit...oh and ive also had a couple come in where the 3 bolts attaching the trac bar bracket to the engine crossmember were loose. Make sure the bracket does not wiggle left to right when wheels are turned back and forth at a stop. That can cause a LOT of slop in the wheel, and ultimately death wobble.

Thanks Guys for all the info Sounds like the bolt may be my problem. The sleeve doesn't seem ovaled but the bolt is pretty loose in the sleeve going to try A 7/8 bolt.thanks agian

What is the best way to adjust the trac bar for centering up the axle?

Pull the two allen head bolts out of the adjustment sleeve, rotate sleeve with a big cresent wrench.

I do this with the key to the on position, less binding and stress on the steering box if it goes into LOCK

Pull the two allen head bolts out of the adjustment sleeve, rotate sleeve with a big cresent wrench.

I do this with the key to the on position, less binding and stress on the steering box if it goes into LOCK

Is There A certain measurement That I should be looking for? Maybee off of the frame?

Back