Death wobble ?

DLittle

Truck is a 1993 W250 auto. For about the last 2 to 3 months my truck has a bad steering problem. When you turn a corner and come back to straight the steering wheel goes from right to left or left to right and back and forth in that fashion for quite a while. Eventually it will stop only to come back at the next turn . The steering wheel moves all on it's own back and forth back and forth. You have to hold it to go striaght and the steering continues to move. I have replaced the following to try and fix the problem. Gear box,installed a borgensen steering shaft, new shocks, power steering pump and hoses, new king pin bushings and springs, switched wheels and tires, new warn hubs. I have not changed the tie rods they feel fine. Nice and tight.
I'm at a loss and tired of throwing money at it. Could the front axle ujoints cause this problem ? I've had the truck to 2 different shops and they don't have a clue. Any help. It's so bad the truck is almost not driveable. I NEED HELP IT'S GETTING OLD. Thanks

hows the alignment? not toed out at all is it?
did you change anything just before it started?
deathwobble is usually caused by loose steering parts, too much or too little caster, lumpy tires, or bent rims.

Getting the alignment checked next week to be sure. Wobble just started all of a sudden. I switched wheels and tires to make sure that wasn't the problem. Wheels/ tires I have been fine for 30k. Rotated and balanced every
6k. Didn't change anything in the supension.

My 12v was like a boat when I first got it, the steering wheel had no self centering. Fixed it with new gearbox. I see you already replaced yours though.

check the shaft where it goes in the box there is a ball and socket joint that wheres out I think borgeson makes a replacement

And Try Different Tire pressures, I had one like yours before my '96 and increasing tire pressure fixed it, same on my 96 when it did it.

sounds to me like the truck has either been lifted or lowered - its castor that causes the issue your talkin about - and by the sound of it you dont have any as caster is what makes the wheels track properly, and come back to centre

yes putting air in the tires "sometimes" helps cuz you lifted the front of the truck enough to add a wee bit caster

Replaced the front axle u-joints fixed the problem. They were shot. All is good now.

Isnt it odd that replacing the front axle u-joints fixed it? I think so, esp when you consider we have lockin hubs, and one wouldnt think they would affect steering when in the "FREE" position. I have had a similar issue with mine, and I know I have a bad axle u-joint. I'll have to try that when I get it running again.

Dan

Back