Dedicated P7100 oil supply

RacinNdrummin

In-directly Ignored
Anybody run a dedicated (sealed pump supply) oil supply on a P7100?

Are there any drawbacks to not running engine oil besides heat and having to change the oil separately?

Yes, this is a street truck, no heavy towing or anything, just driving, street strip/puller type application. Its a custom setup, and the fuel will circulate through the supply passage to cool it, I was just wondering If I could get away with making the pump self contained...

Yes, this is a street truck, no heavy towing or anything, just driving, street strip/puller type application. Its a custom setup, and the fuel will circulate through the supply passage to cool it, I was just wondering If I could get away with making the pump self contained...

No, Why would you even want to?

That's why I was asking...

If I could get away with running a dedicated setup, it would mean less junk from from the engine going through the pump and whatnot, and save me from having to fab a supply and drain. Not a biggy, that was my whole reason for asking.

Im confused. If its on a cummins it has a supply line on the engine and it drains out the front of the pump into the gear case

Its actually off a Perkins diesel, and its supplied through the cradle it sits in, and is drained out of the back of the body, so no provision in the front to drain out of.

I am going to plug the supply gallery and re-plumb into the side of the pump. The current supply isn't in a very good spot.

It wont be terrible to plumb, I was just wondering if It was possible to avoid.

Some of the tractor pullers run a belt driven pump and separate tank for the turbos to keep from mixing broken parts from either. You would have to run it threw a cooler and probably have a scavenger pump to pull the whip cream away from the turbo.

Yeah, that's a bunch more work than just plumbing a supply/drain in. Its not a big deal, Ill just do it that way.

That info would have been useful to start with!

Not really. Interesting information, but not useful. Unless you want to consider that the pump's going to be a bit warmer sitting in the valley instead of on the side of the engine, but that's not going to be the determining factor.

I'd feed it with engine oil. Those pumps warm up pretty quick in a self contained application, but they usually also have a quick rate cam that would create a bit more heat.

If you're worried about contaminants, you could run a pretty tight filter in the supply line considering the inlet orifice is only going to flow ~2 gpm @ 100 psi.

Back