Delivery valve comparison on test stand.

RonA

Just a bit of free information.
On the test stand comparing 181's, 024's, and the Weston style moded 131's
at minimum rack, mid plate, and full plate(21mm). 181 values are baseline.
at min the 024's are +10.6%, mid +4.6%, max +7%.
modded 131's are +23.4% at min, +15.4% at mid, +11.7% at full rack. So if your pump is putting out 500cc with 181's at full rack, 024's would be +7% or about 535cc. The modded 131's would be +11.7% or 558cc.

notice how the gains in flow are almost twice as much(percentage wise) at min rack where it isn't needed versus full rack where you do. That's why a guy with a stock 160 pump can run full cuts on the street and a mildly modded pump can't.

Interesting thread. I have not run a full cut nor a 024 but have run the comps (modified 131s) and the 191s (similar to 024, the 8mm variant anyway I believe), 181s, and 131s. In my experience the injector determines what is streetable and not. I have run different delivery valves through 5x14s, 5x13s, and the now 5x20s and for the same acceleration rate of the truck smoke was not very much different when comparing the modified 131s to 181s. The delivery valve yielding most smoke per given acceleration rate for me was the 022. I am talking about part throttle acceleration ofcourse. WOT the modified 131s did not clear up ever and smoked more than any setup I have had. Have a set of competition valves I'm about to put back in given my truck sucked with 181s.

Last edited:
Ron, were the 024's Bosch parts, DDP Magic Delivery Valves (Actually 042 part number on top of valve), or ???

Also, thanks for sharing, I love free information, especially when it's related to diesel performance!

Ron, were the 024's Bosch parts, DDP Magic Delivery Valves (Actually 042 part number on top of valve), or ???

Also, thanks for sharing, I love free information, especially when it's related to diesel performance!

My stuff will be back next week, I'll check and confirm then.
On a side note when I trimmed the shoulder diameter on the 131's I held the diameter to plus or minus .0001. On the test stand my pump was balanced with the 024's and with the 131's installed the pump was out of balance beyond what the shop liked to see. Might be an issue for a truck trying to run those as a daily driver without balancing the pump.

How much difference from high to lowest were the barrels out with the home brew 131's? I ran a set of SDX trimmed 181's, and I noticed that it wasn't as smooth, as if it were fueling harder on one or two cylinders.

On the test stand my pump was balanced with the 024's and with the 131's installed the pump was out of balance beyond what the shop liked to see.

Was the balance rate off from the 181's to the 024's?

thanks for the info ron.. looking forward to seeing the difference from the "new" pump and the difference between the old pump and the new pump by the numbers..

Was the balance rate off from the 181's to the 024's?

Not sure which DV's he balanced the pump to. Probably any change would result in an imbalance. I wasn't trying to make it sound like the 131's were bad, just pointing out that even with carefull machining a DV change can have an effect on how smooth it runs.(and there are alot of "lope" threads)

Not sure which DV's he balanced the pump to. Probably any change would result in an imbalance. I wasn't trying to make it sound like the 131's were bad, just pointing out that even with carefull machining a DV change can have an effect on how smooth it runs.(and there are alot of "lope" threads)

No worries Ron, I agree and I am always curious.

Back