Did Dodge change the rear drum brakes in 2000?

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
I have the 16" aluminum alloy style wheels from my 02, want to find out if they will fit a 99.

When I look up the alloy wheels, it says they were for years 00-02...but 00-early 01 had drums, and I know for a FACT that these wheels will not fit a 95 dana 70 rear with drums because I tried them on the old mans truck.

So did Dodge use smaller drums starting in 00, or did the Alloy wheels not come out until the disk brake change in 01.5?

ok now i need to find someone with a 99 that has alloys, gotta find out if they will fit

the wheels for the drums will fit the rotors but not the other way without machining them.

FarmerJonCTD said:
the wheels for the drums will fit the rotors but not the other way without machining them.

apparently thats not true for ALL years.

My 01 has rear drums and alloys.

i just gotta find out when they changed the drums to a smaller size that the alloys will fit over.

TJ, I have the same rims as you and i have drums. I'm almost positive it was 2000 that they changed over.

I've never done it, but I think you can do some machining on the drums and front calipers to make them fit. But don't quote me on that.

im sure they will fit the front, its the rear drums that require machining.

a guy wants to buy my stockers and has a 99, gotta find out if they will fit for him.

2001.5 change over to disc brakes. Chris White truck has them my 2001 has drums

dzlfarmboy said:
2001.5 change over to disc brakes. Chris White truck has them my 2001 has drums

i know this, im trying to find out when they changed the diameter of the drums so the alloys will fit over them.

TJ, the wheels will fit on the 99, 00 was the first year for the alloys. Not available in 99. Thanks Steve B.

The drums changed for the 2000 model, so aluminum wheels will not fit 99 and older trucks without machining the drums (the '03 and newer ones will since they're 17").

Dodge changed a LOT of stuff for the 2000 model year. . . major front suspension revision on the 2wd trucks, changed front & rear axles on the 4x4 trucks, went to seal wheel bearings, went to a higher offset, went from 6.5" wide to 8" rims, etc.

Vaughn

I tried to put alloys on my 97 and they did not fit. I think the drums are different like you said.

The drums are different. I have a 00 truck with a 99 axle under it. I found out when I changed brake shoes the that they are different. They did change in 2000.

Spencer

Back