Diesel for fuel mileage?

Comicaltatertot

Hey I am new to the forum. Like the title says I am seein if its possible to convert a diesel for fuel mileage. I live about 1 hr from my job and my gasser at 16 mpg just isn't good enough. I also don't want an economy car due to the fact I am 6'4" 210 lbs I hate getting in and out of cars. So I was seeing if you can do some kind of diesel conversion to really focus on mpg? I don't tow much.
I want to keep it in the price range of 15-20K including the price of the truck, interested in either Cummins or Duramax I am just not a big fan of the powerstroke (sorry Ford guys). Anywho any ideas on how to do this would be appreciated! My only other option is swapping a 4bt into my old '72 Chev

Well, a 12V is probably going to get the best mileage, and then weight is the biggest factor. Get a std cab, long box 2WD 12V cummins, and then do some small stuff to it to make the trans do what you want and give it a little pep. With that, you can get about 21-23mpg with stock sized tires and decent fuel pressure.

Some people do more, but with a mix between hwy and city, that's the best I was ever doing and I think that's pretty average.

Also, they don't get great mileage until they warm up IMO, so you'll have to keep that in mind. Keep it in the garage and plug it in an hour before you leave for work if it's winter, and it'll help too.

Might want to sit in and consider a VW TDI as there are many "big" guys that drive and enjoy them as their commuters... In a Mk4 TDI with a manual transmission you can expect between 40-50 MPG in most commuting situations. That will be enough to pay for itself in fuel savings alone over your gasser at 16MPG.

A VW may even have more legroom with the seat all the way back than a standard cab truck, but I haven't measured and I'm short so I haven't tried either...

I like the 12v idea just not a huge trade off with diesel being .50 to a dollar more and to get 21-23mpg. I will check out a TDI I test drove the Cruze ecodiesel and the powertrain felt great just felt really cramped inside, I will check out VW though sounds like a pretty good idea.

Might want to sit in and consider a VW TDI as there are many "big" guys that drive and enjoy them as their commuters... In a Mk4 TDI with a manual transmission you can expect between 40-50 MPG in most commuting situations. That will be enough to pay for itself in fuel savings alone over your gasser at 16MPG.

A VW may even have more legroom with the seat all the way back than a standard cab truck, but I haven't measured and I'm short so I haven't tried either...

Exactly what I was thinking, keep your truck for truck stuff and get a older TDI. You won't see enough gain doing the diesel swap or buying a diesel pickup. FWIW I'm 6'2" and 300lbs and I can make a TDI fit me enough that an hour drive would be no issue.

My idea of a fuel getter was a 2nd gen single cab short bed 2wd. Small injectors little pump work. Back it with a 5 speed tranny and some 3.04 gears.

I'm 6'3" 215 and fit in a Jetta no problem. Actually surprising how far back the seat goes lol

My idea of a fuel getter was a 2nd gen single cab short bed 2wd. Small injectors little pump work. Back it with a 5 speed tranny and some 3.04 gears.

They didn't make any short bed 12V's (not counting early 98), and then I don't think there were any std cab short box 24V's either. That's the only problem.

I am 6'3" and drove an Audi A4 (28-33mpg gas)for a long time and it took getting used to getting down into the car instead of up into my truck, but I had plenty of room as long as nobody was trying to sit behind me. The jetta has about the same space (40-50mpg diesel), but then there are the Audi A3's that come in TDI that have the same room as a jetta, a bit nicer interior, and they are pretty decently priced. That's what i was looking at for a bit. Still 40-50mpg.

Talking trucks alone, and not the new eco diesels coming out in 1500's, I would definitely say a 2wd, std cab, long box, 12V.

i have a mk3 tdi with injectors and chip from kerma, not the most aggresive tuning but its a blast to drive and i get 46-48mpg everytime i fill up. 90 mi round trip commute speeds between 70-80. its probably the smartest vehicle purchase ive ever made. mk4's have more room and nicer interior but i prefer the mk3 chassis

The newer VW Passat has quite a bit of room in it for the driver, great mileage for a commuter. If a truck is a must a buddy has a 12V 5 spd short bed conversion for sale. Probably around 25 mpg? I also just recently saw a 4bt/5spd swap in a GM half ton pickup that claimed 28-30 mpg for $7500.

There's a local guy with a 4bt, 5 speed, in a 2wd 1989 Dakota longbed, pulling down around 32mpg.
I also know of a guy with a 1969 Plymouth Sport Satellite wagon, equipped with a 4bt, a getrag and 2.76s, who is supposedly pulling off 35mpg.

That's pretty decent mileage for an engine that has a "heavy duty" diesel rating.

Mark.

They didn't make any short bed 12V's (not counting early 98), and then I don't think there were any std cab short box 24V's either. That's the only problem.

I am 6'3" and drove an Audi A4 (28-33mpg gas)for a long time and it took getting used to getting down into the car instead of up into my truck, but I had plenty of room as long as nobody was trying to sit behind me. The jetta has about the same space (40-50mpg diesel), but then there are the Audi A3's that come in TDI that have the same room as a jetta, a bit nicer interior, and they are pretty decently priced. That's what i was looking at for a bit. Still 40-50mpg.

Talking trucks alone, and not the new eco diesels coming out in 1500's, I would definitely say a 2wd, std cab, long box, 12V.

Ummm talking about building one. Last I checked they made short beds, single cabs and fabricating supplies. :hehe:

I daily a MKVI TDI Golf, 65 miles each way. 6'3" 255 lbs and I car pool with a guy who is 6'8" 340+ we both fit in the golf. It took me a while to get used to sitting that low to the ground. But it's not that bad.

a lowered ramcharger with a VE 12v/47rh and a 3:08 rear gear lowered about 3in would be nice keep it light I got 23/25 normally in my 93 extended cab first gen 30 if I played really nice.

Compact cars aren't to bad I'm 6'5" 295lbs and I'm driving a 2000 Ford focus till I get my 550 done. It gets 31/35 depending how many truck parts/firewood I have in it.

Ah nice thanks everyone for the replies looks like I will be lookin into a TDI. How good do those motors last with good maintenance?
Also just out of curiosity using a small car as a commuter, when ya hop back in your truck, does it feel like your truck is massive?

I daily a MKVI TDI Golf, 65 miles each way. 6'3" 255 lbs and I car pool with a guy who is 6'8" 340+ we both fit in the golf. It took me a while to get used to sitting that low to the ground. But it's not that bad.

Please post a picture of that. Has to look like two bears riding together.

Ah nice thanks everyone for the replies looks like I will be lookin into a TDI. How good do those motors last with good maintenance?
Also just out of curiosity using a small car as a commuter, when ya hop back in your truck, does it feel like your truck is massive?

The ALH TDI engine in most of the Mk4 Jetta and Golf TDIs is very reliable, with most of the TDI guys considering it something similar to a 12V Cummins... There are a lot of aftermarket parts and support available for the ALH engines.

The PD TDI engine in the late Mk4s (03-04 I believe) and early Mk5s (until 06) have cam wear issues, but Colt makes an aftermarket cam that is stronger and it can be changed pretty easily when doing the timing belt. Not as much support for this engine here in the US as it was only used for a few years.

Speaking of timing belt, it is a good idea to change it soon on any new TDI purchase (unless they show receipts that EVERYTHING was properly changed including the idler pullies, water pump and such) since they are interference engines and a broken belt or even seized idler will likely damage the head and bend valves...

You can probably incorporate that into the purchase price, figure on $1000-2000 for parts and labor having just the timing belt done and having it done with the cam/lifter replacement.

Some of the CR ('09 and newer) TDIs have experienced high pressure fuel pump failure, but many seem to be attributed to misfueling or low quality fuel. The CP4 that they use does not protect the rest of the fuel system when they fail and debris goes through the injectors and the rest of the fuel system... It can be an expensive repair! There is at least one aftermarket kit that is supposed to protect against damage to the rest of the fuel system. The CRs also have more power, but with that also a little bit lower mileage.

Either way you should be able to find a nice car for way less than your $15-20k budget with a Mk4 or Mk5 VW TDI and they should last you MANY miles!!! I've heard of them lasting well into the 200,000 and even 300,000 range. http://www.tdiclub.com is a good source for TDI info.

We paid $4500 for Kyle's 01 Jetta about 7 months ago and it had pretty low mileage and was in pretty good shape. We paid $12,500 for our 06 Jetta about 4 years ago and it had low miles and was in good shape...

I'm comfortable driving my '06 Jetta TDI which is also lowered and carving corners in it, then hopping into my lifted long-travel '01 Duramax truck with no problems. They couldn't be much more different!!! You get used to the differences.

Ok cool thanks for the info. I am guessing the mk4 earlier model came out from maybe 1997-2002 with that ALH motor?
That would be cool if that motor was in an mk2 I really like the looks of those.

I know this is a diesel sight (own 3 diesel vehicles my self) put if I was buying a something that got good MPG this would be first on my list.

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=M3S

My brother has a 14 had it a little over a yr and gets a honest 40mpg with it. Has more room then my TDI golf and starts and warms up in the winter. Not to mention with diesel/gas being $1.00 difference its kinda of a no brainer.

Back