dip stick tube broke

blackbetty62

I was under the truck today and saw oil, checked it out and noticed dip stick tube was broke. My question is what would be the best way to get it out of the block?

Grip the tube with a pair of vice grips, and tap up on the vice grips with a hammer. I would soak around the tube with some WD-40 ( or other spray lube), to loosen up the o-ring around the tube (yes there is one).

Paul

^^^ What he said. They are cheap from Cummins. Think I paid around $20 for mine. They dont like elbows resting on them while swapping valve springs!

I broke mine also during an injector swap. Just make sure you dont brek it off in the block then you will have a major headache.

The tube has a flange that rests on the block. If it's broke too short to grab take a thin chisel and alternately drive it under flange from side to side and work it out.

mine is broke as well on my 06 truck and im just wondering if you have to use a vice and a hammer to get it out of the block how the heck do you get the new one back into the block?

10 mm wrench right on the flange, Some oil on the O ring and drive it in.

They are not that tight pliers will pull it out if it's in deep an easy out will pull it out! The tube may be cheap but the dip stick is 50. boy are they proud of that part!

They are not that tight pliers will pull it out if it's in deep an easy out will pull it out! The tube may be cheap but the dip stick is 50. boy are they proud of that part!

my friend just bought an oem dipstick at a local dealer and it was only $15.

Geno's has them for $6.95 and they wouldn't be much more than that from cummins if your dealer doesn't gouge.

Mine still has a heated wood screw for a handle...

Back