does this sound like it may be a starter going out?

silver2004

Craps with the door open
Yesterday I noticed the cranks were slower when turning on my truck. I don't believe it took any extra cranks, they were just drawn out then it fires up. It cant be the batteries because they are 2 brand new Interstates and terminals are clean, couldn't be the alternator because it was replaced two years ago and is charging the batteries just fine, couldn't be the lift pump because I'm still pushing 17 psi, couldn't be the injection pump because I just got a reman a few months ago and rail pressure is normal, couldn't be injectors cuz those are new rebulids also.

I'm thinking the starter is the culprit. I tried to remove it but the stupid red cable on top was in the way when I try to bring it out and up. It bumps into this other stray metal piece coming off the block, perhaps has something to do with oe block mounted pump bracket, I dont know.

Anyway does this sound like its my starter going bad, slow crank? Perhaps the contacts inside starter eroding away? Any tips on how to remove the starter because I cant get a good view of removing the red cable? Said truck is in my sig

I'm thinking the starter is the culprit. I tried to remove it but the stupid red cable on top was in the way when I try to bring it out and up. It bumps into this other stray metal piece coming off the block, perhaps has something to do with oe block mounted pump bracket, I dont know.

personally, when i do starter swaps, i never take them out through the top.. always from the bottom, just had mine out from a clutch swap... it does help to have two people, patience is key, i always get frustrated initially... :doh:

Tempeterature has been all accross the board from 20F to 60F but I'd say the times I tried to start is in the 60s degree range. While cranking it sounds exactly like when you try to start a cummins in single digit temperature no grid heater minus the extra cranks.

personally, when i do starter swaps, i never take them out through the top.. always from the bottom, just had mine out from a clutch swap... it does help to have two people, patience is key, i always get frustrated initially... :doh:

I may have confused you. I was working from the bottom but how the starter has to move to get out its like moving the front end of it up once its come out of the hole a little bit but it cant quite come out enough. Theres a metal piece thats above it in the way that needs some investigating. The wind was gusting 40mph and dust all in my face from the horse pen and no shop so I just bolted it back up for a nicer day and some help. It is very frustrating lol

Unhook your neg cables then drop the starter then pull cable off it. Theyre kind of a pain to get dropped, just the right combo of twisting and puahing the back up past the engine mount. Mine was dragging a lil so i installed LARRY B's 90% over contacts for like 28$ shipped and it cranks twice as fast as it ever has, its great.

my apologies, i did misunderstand... but exactly what he ^^^ said... grunt and twist and cuss at it a few times... find that helps some..

Unhook your neg cables then drop the starter then pull cable off it. Theyre kind of a pain to get dropped, just the right combo of twisting and puahing the back up past the engine mount. Mine was dragging a lil so i installed LARRY B's 90% over contacts for like 28$ shipped and it cranks twice as fast as it ever has, its great.

Is that how you get the cable off the top of the starter is "pull" it off? I couldnt get a close enough look from the wheel well and from underneath all I couldnt ever tell. Thats pretty inexepensive, I'm hoping thats all it needs.

Should have specified, has a nut u have to unscrew on the cable. Should b 15mm, the small wire u have to squeeze the tab on the connector and pull it out

I had a flexplate issue about a year ago, which caused damage to the bendix gear teeth on the starter

I took the starter in to a shop I have been going to for 20 years, that only does starter repair and rebuild

The truck had about 85,000 miles on it, at that time.........so thought it might also be a good idea to have the starter rebuilt since it was out of the truck

The shop repaired the damage and said the internals looked brand new. They said these starters rarely need a rebuild and typically will go for 200,000+ miles

How many miles are on your truck?

I have 445,000 on my starter. It gets cranked two to five times a day now. And it's 10 years old. I don't see any marking of it being a reman or replacement. It's a genuine part.

How many miles are on your truck?

It has 222k miles on it and I've owned it since 182k. The top bolt was missing so it may have been off before for whatever reason or no reason at all. Idk who the previous owner was since it came from a dealer which came from an auction in the Lubbock TX area. The shyt head things they've done to this truck amazes me.

I'm no professional but the teeth seemed clean from what I could see when pull as much of it as I could. I'm swamped with homework for class so I don't know if I'll get a chance to give it another shot today. Its only possible.

Take the starter out, most shops will test it for free

If the bendix is moving and spinning, its fine

Once I get a chance to get it out I'll take it to a parts store to get it tested, we have a wh0reillys in town. In the mean time I will order the contacts and solenoid for it so it'll be ready for swappage because from what I'm gathering this is the most common problem on these.

Update: we replaced the contacts and solenoid and it didn't fix it. Could it be the brushes? Or should I just get a whole new starter from the parts store and quit guessing?

Alright I'll try that and get em tested to eliminate it from suspicion. Also the starer was oraling smoke from the vent tube underneath the starter when I cranked on it.

Well I'm finishing the symptoms thread cuz I hate when the OP doesnt and it might help someone in the future :doh: I got the starter tested at wh0reillys and it was bad. Got a reman there with a lifetime warranty and it solved the problem. I could've got this done a long time ago but we had a blizzard with a lot of snow creating lots of mud afterward haha.

My truck did the same exact thing, bit the bullet and bought a starter. 30 minutes in and out. Lots of frustration due to location of trans cooler lines, but fixed the problem.

Back