Don's ZDDP question

Joesixpack

Pull'n it.
Don, (or any of your motley crew).......just about got my engine back in the truck.....again, and was about to add the liter of ZDDP that you sent with the cam.

When I took the cap off, looked inside and the top was all "jelly", poured it into one of the empty 4 liter jugs of engine oil and there is a lot of this "jelly" guessing 10-20%.

Enough so that I'm pretty leary dumping it into the crank case. I'd doubt it would plug off the pump screen, think it would stay up top till it melted.....still don't feel good pouring jelly in there.

If you put some of this jelly on a hot plate it does "melt", so I take it maybe I just put it in a stainless container and warm it? Or dilute it with motor oil then warm it?

There is a chance that this froze in transport, maybe that would cause it to gel up? It might not be something you tried with the blend?

Thanks

Chris Bryden

The bottle cap is the type that would not come off without breaking the little tell-tale ring at the bottom. So if it is not messed with I would not worry about it being thick.

The additive is a blend of ZDDP and a few other things so yes, it is very thick, but will thin out with even minimal heating. You can certainly pre heat it before you pour it in.

We are currently mixing this stuff one bottle at a time. The additive goes in first and the ZDDP goes in on top of that. We shake the bottle some, but only by hand. As long as it all ends up in the crankcase, your good.

The ZDDP is a thick, yellow, jelly looking stuff. The additive is a green color.

Good deal, thanks. I ended up pre-heating the crankcase fill and mixing it in first, and it blended in just fine, so wasn't worried about it. Poured it in the crankcase just before I started it.

The rockers and shafts would be a good candidate to get the same coating as cam-tappets, don't know how many I've seen with some galling there. BUT with the extra ZDDP should help with that.

Back