Drive shaft loop?

Dalpilot

Joe Nobody!
Does there need to be one towards each end of the shaft, or just one in general? My frame section I bought has an area pre made for it, but I am thinking where its at is gonna be really far aft.

Just need one to keep the front of the shaft from digging into the pavement if it breaks...the back of the shaft will just drag along...

At least that's what I think I've read in the rules

Chris

BTW, are you having fun making all these new forums for me to post in tonight??

Thanks...glad I am stuck here in front of the computer trying to make our company email work so I can help you slow the server down...

Chris

Good point...at least the rear one...the other one should be tucked up under the body enough to protect everyone...but would probably be good insurance to cover them

Chris

I think you want to cover the u joints too, just for your safety and the spectators.

yep, single driviline only requires one, at least that USED to be the nhra standard. thats how i did mine, i had 3 ..because i had a 4wd w/ 2 piece rear driveshaft. almost all sanctioning bodies have it in their rules. taken from NHRA rules

"Since traction is the key to going quick, this places more strain on the driveshaft. To prevent the driveshaft from breaking at the front U-joint area and perhaps coming into the interior of the car, or digging into the track and pole-vaulting the car, NHRA mandates that a steel loop be placed just behind the front U-joint of the driveshaft. A universal driveshaft loop is available from Lakewood that bolts to the floorpan. A rollbar is required in this e.t. bracket only if the car is a convertible. "

Last edited:
I wouldn't be worried about just pivoting off the driveline. But also the thing tearing the absolute crap out of your bed or anything else you have back there.. Seems like cheap insurance to have two.

The most important part is the front part of the driveshaft cant hit the ground.. but they prefer if it can keep either side from touching

I don't have my rule book here, but think the loop needs to be no more than 8" from the front of the shaft.

I believe 6" from teh center of the yoke. I did both ends. I don't want it shearing at the rear and ejecting under the tires.

I believe 6" from teh center of the yoke. I did both ends. I don't want it shearing at the rear and ejecting under the tires.

you sir are correct.

4310742-NHRA2008Drvloop.jpg

4310745-NHRA2008Drvloop2.jpg

Last edited:
My tube chassis car has a rear one too, but it is pretty high for the opening to allow for suspension travel. As a result, when I snapped a pinion shaft (allowing the whole yoke to slam around) I took a pretty hard hit into the interior of the car (dented and cut the tinwork, scared the crap out of me). I'd hate to think what would have happened without the double loops. I think they ought to be required if you have a non-stock floorpan.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Cody, RubberDuck, makes awesome driveshaft loops that basically have "loops" placed all along the shaft. If and when I need one, that's what I want.
100_2524.jpg

I use Joe Hellmann's on both of my trucks. I know you use other products by Joe, just wanted to make sure you remembered he made drive shaft loops.

Paul

Back