driveshaft question

AHarvey

TRUCK JUNKIE
It's an 84 gmc 1500 with a commonrail 5.9. Street/strip use. Right now just efi live tune. Future plans are for 700hp. The guy at my local driveshaft shop wants me to go 5" aluminum. I am gonna have hell fitting that. I was really thinking a 3.5" steel would be fine, but wanted to see what y'all thought.

What is the shaft length? Thats what will determine what tube you can use. The really long tubes need to be larger diameter.

I'm betting that you will be fine with 3.5" .12 wall, but the driveshaft shop should be able to answer that for you.

Anything over 60" can complicate what is considered a suitable driveshaft.

I haven't measured for this build yet, but the old shaft was 55" and it was hooked to a short tail th400. The 48re is quite a bit longer.

Correction it was 59". But it's still going to be shorter than that now.

Mine is 42 1/4" 3.5" .120 DOM and it seems to work well at 600hp and 4k.

I can't comment on length due to RPMs but a lot of pullers I know are well north of 1000hp and running 3.5" 0.83 or 0.96 wall DOM with no issues.

Im running a 3.5" .083 wall in my regular cab short bed with around 700 hp. I have done numerous boosted launches with slicks and have no issues with drive shaft. I do however have two safety loops on it just incase.

I was planning .120 wall on the 3.5" steel.

Seems like that would be pretty heavy. To each their own but I recall a pretty big weight difference between .083 and .120. If you can get DOM I would think you'd be fine with .083 at 700hp.

I can't comment on length due to RPMs but a lot of pullers I know are well north of 1000hp and running 3.5" 0.83 or 0.96 wall DOM with no issues.

This is true and I don't doubt that what the pullers are using will safice. However, in a pulling application the tires are spinning on dirt, there isn't much stress on the drive shaft. In a drag application, tires are hooked to the pavement, which I fell would cause a lot of stress.

Just my $.02. Other than that thought I have nothing to contribute here.

This is true and I don't doubt that what the pullers are using will safice. However, in a pulling application....there isn't much stress on the drive shaft. In a drag application, tires are hooked to the pavement, which I fell would cause a lot of stress.

Just my $.02. Other than that thought I have nothing to contribute here.

I disagree in a drag race you aren't pulling 40K+ pounds. How many drag racers need SQHD rearend to keep ring and pinions together or need to upgrade to 1550 u-joints?

If you're uncertain just call MW or Strange. 10 minute conversation and they'll get you taking care of. Pleasure to talk with. I got quoted around $525 last week for a 3.5" chromoly with 1480 ends.

Running a 3.5" .083 wall sshft about 48"' long.
car weighs 5400 launch it as hard as ican every pass..
with 1410 u joints

Got my driveshaft today. Ended up being about 45" center uj to uj. The guy I dealt with in person seemed more knowledgeable, and recommended 3.5" .083 wall. So that's what I went with, spicer ends and u-joints. 1410 at trans 1350 at rear.

Last edited:
Back