Drone

homewrecker

gear jammer
Has anyone found an aftermarket muffler that effectively eliminates the 2000rpm drone? Compounds are not in the budget at the moment. Tried the fte resonator, it worked great for the drone but spool up and fuel mileage suffered with it installed. I've dug through threads on multiple forums and don't trust some of the recommended fixes. Do the big Donaldson's kill it? The hush power? Anyone tried multiple mufflers inline? Currently have a 5" exhaust with 27" muffler. Willing to go back to a 4" if it will help any.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had drone with mine even with the compounds at 2k until I added the FTE. Never had it since, but I do not pay attention to mileage, as long as it tows great I am good.

Spool up and mileage really suffered with the FTE? I guess you could put a factory cat back on it from a 06/07 year model?

With a cat my 2006 QCSB had no drone with a Borla catback. With a straight pipe it was unbearable. My current 2006 mega with no cat and some kind of exhaust with a muffler is great. No drone very quiet in cab but sounds great outside and when you mash the throttle

Sell the 5 and go back to a 4" exhaust. I have the same issue but I've just learned to deal with it.

Homewrecker, you used the fte resonator. So that was the 17" unit? Have you thought about 30" resonator/muffler?

Spool up and mileage really suffered with the FTE? I guess you could put a factory cat back on it from a 06/07 year model?
Yes. Renoved the fte resonator from mine and a friends and spool up was greatly improved and got a solid 1mpg gain. I still have the cat. Figured it was equally restrictive.
Sell the 5 and go back to a 4" exhaust. I have the same issue but I've just learned to deal with it.
So buy a 4" so I can still deal with it? Not sure I'm following you.
I just put two NAPA 5"x16" straight thru mufflers and it solved mine.
Got a p/n? Where did you install them? Running a muffler with them?
Homewrecker, you used the fte resonator. So that was the 17" unit? Have you thought about 30" resonator/muffler?
My truck had the 30",friends had the 17" . Both of us saw improvements removing them.

I saw no change in spool or mileage at all with the 30" FTE and a Hushpower muffler combo on a 5" system. It was nice and quiet for sure.

My brother has a aero turbine muffler, homemade resonator (5" pipe and auger flighting) and a big Donaldson muffler on his truck. Its pretty much muffler from the downpipe to the rear axle. Quite possibly the quietest 800 hp truck on earth. LOL

Both trucks were very quiet with the fte installed. I read on here a yr or so ago of a member that had the same issues. Didnt pay it any mind. Friend installed his months after I did. Within a month he was complaining that his turbo wasn't spooling well, boost was down and his mileage was down as well. I was leaning towards a boost leak causing it. He didn't like how quiet it was so he removed the resonator. Everything went back to normal. So out of curiosity I removed mine and got the same results. I have one more friend running one on a 600 hp street truck. We plan on making some test passes, record some readings, remove the resonator and retest. At this point I have no doubt he will see an improvement.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Really leaning towards this muffler. Does anyone on here know how to translate the flow ratings? Are these numbers in line with a free flowing muffler?

M100580 specs

A - Inlet Diameter (Inches): 5*
B - Body Diameter (Inches): 10*
D - Overall Length (Inches): 51*
E - Outlet Diameter (Inches): 5*
Rated Flow LR (CFM): 1565*
Rated Flow MR (CFM): 2215*
Rated Flow HR (CFM): 2530*
Back Press LR (In Hg): 1*
Back Press MR (In Hg): 2*
Back Press HR (In Hg): 3*
Attenuation (dBA): 19-25*
Product Type Description: Muffler, Round, Style 1*
Primary Application: SVV 4CYC LARGE BORE TURBO ENG*
Application Note: MEETS 88 NOISE REQUIREMENTS*

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sorry fat fingered my response. Meant buy a 4" for a quieter ride or learn to deal with the 5" drone. I personally don't see the point of adding all the mufflers and BS to an exhaust. Isn't that the reason you bought one was to remove the stock muffler? Just my .02 but everyone is entitled to have their truck the way they want it.

Got a p/n? Where did you install them? Running a muffler with them?

I wish I could remember but I sold the truck 3 years ago. I just went to NAPA and looked thru their list until I found them. And no just the two NAPA mufflers.

I wish I could remember but I sold the truck 3 years ago. I just went to NAPA and looked thru their list until I found them. And no just the two NAPA mufflers.
I think I found them. Theyre actually dynomax mufflers. P/n 24233

The 30" is what was removed from both the trucks I mentioned. A 30" is whats on the truck I want to test and record

Back