Dt466 89 f350

DaMonsterMonste

Power Junky
Can't see to find any DT swaps in my body style. My main questions with it are:

1. How much modification do I need to make this happen? I know I'll need to push the fire wall back but what about springs? I'm going to do a front leaf conversion on it from Skyjacker so maybe that will help a little?

2. Also is it worth using the 466 instead of the 360? I'd like to use the 466 cause I hear its just a monster but would it be too much of a hassle?

3. I know that the 93-97 has the p-pump which i want but what all did this come in? Can't find many around and want to start getting parts to do this maybe next summer. (have a car for my winter project and my truck for my summer project)

Thanks.

Also forgot to add what kind of rear end should I look for to put in it for less than 1,000 HP goal over the years? And the transfer case and transmission? I planned on using a ZF5 granny and transfer case for stock power levels and would like a 6 speed manual for higher numbers in the future

I seem to recall a couple of guys started dt466 obs projects on here never got finished..life happened kinda things I'm guessing...the dt engines aren't much bigger the 5.9 cummins.. you'll have to notch the firewall for sure and you'll need a dana 60 front end to handle the weight.. your stock rear axle should be ok if you don't get to crazy..look in medium duty trucks like internationals and such.. my family has a international 4700 box truck with a dt466E with a 6sp in it that I'm eyeing for my 550 if the cummins swap doesn't work out..best of luck gettin it together..

Alot of those came with an Allison MD3060 or similar tranny. That'd be the ticket if you could find a donor truck.

That's an automatic isn't it? Plus what should I use for a transfer case? My truck was converted from a gasser to a diesel before the logging company I got it from had it. Where should look for a Dana 60 or bigger? There aren't a ton of places in Springfield that will have this kind of stuff sadly.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Look into early medium duty 4wd trucks. Most all had a divorced transfer case. Snag the axles out of it while you are at it. A dana 60 front came in dodges from 94 on up to 02, and is still used by fords from early 90's on to current i believe. The f550 has a "super 60" wigh massive brakes and beefy kingpins and such.

What years on that f550? Sounds like it would be a pretty sweet set up. I also need to look into hydroboost.

Will Danas all have the same lug pattern on all vehicles? (Dana 80 off of a Chevy the same as the Dana 80 off of a Ford or Dodge?) cause there aren't many Fords on Craigslist at the moment but tons of Dodges and Chevys.

your best bet would be to find a dana 60 from a f350 from your body style truck..99 up super duty's had a metric bolt pattern 8 on 170 mm if i remember right..the f550's from 99 2003 had a 8 on 225 and 2004 up had 10 on 225..the dodges front ends are four link and coil spring if your willing to do a bunch of fab work could be done, but some of those had a two piece long side axle tube and they have a weak unit bearing.. find a divorce mount np 205 ford used lots of them so they are out there

Awesome thanks. Also anyone have any ideas on what leafs and what not I can use? Can I use the 94-97 body springs? Can't find anything for the 86-92 body styles.

Last edited:
Awesome thanks. Also anyone have any ideas on what leafs and what not I can use? Can I use the 94-97 body springs? Can't find anything for the 86-92 body styles.

check eye to eye lengths, but seem to recall they are same setup...if your truck is twin traction beam you'll need to go to straight axle springs..you may need to go to a set of snow plow package springs at minium if those aren't stiff enough you can always add a leaf..

I have been told to go talk to the guys at Skys Off Road here in Springfield about it. If they dont have any ideas ill have to do what you said.

Back